New 1911 now looking for some ammo suggestions

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sgttessnc, Aug 23, 2012.

1. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

also looking for a nice double mag pouch for CC. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster.

I pick up my Taurus stainless 1911 on tuesday! I cant wait to take her to the range!

I will post pics soon.

Thanks

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

federal is a cheap plinking ammo.. you can also get sellier n bellot, magtech and rws for good prices genereally they shoot well

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Blazer aluminum, Blazer brass on sale, Aguila, Winchester white box, PMC.

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

im talking about HD hollow point ammo, I've heard 1911s have trouble with some rounds, so I wanted to try to eliminate those to save $ from the get go.

5. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Shoot upwards of 300 rounds of 230gr ball ammo before you try any hp ammo. After your first 300 rounds, MAYBE try some hp ammo. Something from a reputable brand like Golden Saber, Gold Dot, etc.... I listed those two because between home and work that's what I am accustomed to. Be safe and have fun.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I use Remington Golden Sabre and Hornady TAP, both in 230 grain

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Where are the pics man? You can't post a new gun thread without pics!!!

If you are looking for good plinking ammo Federal Champion is hard to beat but try a box of several brands and see what your pistol likes. It may favor one over the other and then you've found your winner.

Before you start posting self defense ammo, lets let the OP try a search.

8. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

9. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Congrats! Looking good.

10. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Problem is that SOME 1911's have issues with SOME rounds. You can take two, otherwise identical 1911's, and one will feed anything and the other will have issues. I would run at least 3-500 rounds of ball ammo through it and then start trying JHP's.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I shoot whatever ammo I want and if it doesn't feed off to the manufacturer it goes. I spent good money on a gun and it will run or they can fix it. I will not work hard for my money and be a consumer who gets less than expected. They will make it right from the git-go.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I came into a used Taurus, in trade for some handiwork, and it shot everything like a champ. I made a couple of mods to it and sold it to a rather entertaining fellow who is a member here.

I'll see if I can get him to give you a diet of what he ran through it. ;)

JD

13. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

I'm that entertaining guy that Dillinger was talking about.

I plan on doing an expansive thread on this pistol, but to answer the question, I've run about 10 different brands and styles though it, and not a single issue, feeding or otherwise.

I've done different grains, ball, HP, +P, often all in the same magazine, and it functioned flawlessly.

14. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

I put 100 rounds through it on Wednesday and will do 300 more on Monday! No FTF no issues at all. Groups are a little wide but... With practice and some break in, ill tighten them up I am sure. My work friend, a high end 1911 snob couldn't put it down. That's a nice endorsement.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WTF?

You mean New Gun Test?

If you don't listen to us old farts, why post here on the FTF?

16. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

yes new gun test. I am listening and that is why no hollow point ammo has gone down the tube yet. Haha, okay I didn't read the title of your added thread, I just read it.

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The reason is some of the old farts are old grumpy farts!!!!;). Why would someone listen to that.:)

18. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

Update: continued the New gun test and fired 300 more rounds today through the Taurus PT1911, no FTF FTE nothing. All 230 gr ball ammo from seven different manufactures. Not a hiccup. Both factory magazines worked without any flaws and two additional chip mcormicks were blasting away also. I love this gun!!!

19. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

New pictures! what a hoot to shoot!

Attached Files: