New 1911 just purchased

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dahamp2003, Apr 6, 2014.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

2. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

I see fun times ahead for you. Don't forget to do a range report!

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Yup, ya dun gud!

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Picture and price inserted for posterity.

Good Job!

$629

Attached Files:

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Thanks. I'll post some pics of the gun and range when I get it. May do a few videos with my go pro at the range if anyone's interested in how it performs.

6. k9guy

k9guy New Member

Nice looking weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the addition

8. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Upgrades?

Still haven't gotten it yet, but I can tell you I'm the type of guy that likes to upgrade everything I have. What good upgrades/drop in triggers/unique grips/guide rods/safeties/sights would you recommend? As you can tell from the gun I bought, I like different, super tactical (in a realistic sense) kind of things. I was looking at TFO's, but I haven't seen if they make them for 1911's. I like the idea behind them. Any thoughts? I'm new to this guys. I'm definitely an AR guy
    :eek:

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Since you bought a tactical model 1911, I wouldn't replace anything right away. And the words "drop in" and upgrade usually don't fit well with a 1911. Any real upgrade will end up being fitted to the gun. RIA triggers have a decent reputation for a good pull out of the box, but to get a better one is going to require a smith who knows 1911s, and good trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector at minimum to all be fitted together. Sometimes a new safety is required as well.

About the only other upgrade I can think of is good quality night sights.

My "tactical" 1911 is very simple. Good trigger, good safety, good sights, good grips, no rail, and been fed lots of ammo without choking.

10. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I love my rock island match 1911, you made a good choice. Rock Island is a great product. Plus, be sure to stock up on Armscor .45ACP ammo. It is great ammo.

That is one serious looking gun, Enjoy.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats on the addition. Pleasantly looking forward to some range reports.

:)

12. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I'll throw some up probably Monday night. Should be here by then. Any other dos/donts I should know about breaking it in? Clean first? I'm aware of the idiot scratch already haha

13. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

You will probably find the magazines that come with the RIA are less than perfect, buy some decent mags and put the originals in a box for range use. I like Chip Mc Cormic the best and have never had a magazine induced malfunction with them.

14. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Thanks. I've already bought a Wilson Combat Elite Tactical 900B mag. It actually came before the gun has.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i wouldn't make any changes until you have run a few hundred rounds through it. it may be just perfect the way it out the box.

grips would be the exception to this rule IMO.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.