New 1911 FTFs

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bevo, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Hi all, I took my new Remington 1911 R1 to the range today and had two failures to feed, on the 6th round of the mags I took. One magazine is factory that came with the pistol and the other is an after market (don't recall the brand).

I've heard about this issue with this model before but don't recall the solution. Can anyone here shed light on a fix for this noob? TIA.

2. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

First of all, welcome to FTF, have you checked out the introductions yet!
    You say you bought it new, on a 1911 you have to put around 250 rounds through it, this is called the break in period, during this period there may be some malfunctions, after you break it in it will start running great.

3. Bevo

Bevo New Member

I have indeed checked in the intro forum; it's just good protocol. Thanks for the reply, I'll try to stay patient! It's odd though, my Ruger P89 has never malfunctioned once in 20 years and countless rounds.

Thanks again for the reply.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Sit with your gun in the evenings and continually rack the slide and dry fire. Take a rag and some metal polish and use your finger to polish the feed ramp of the frame. Then give it another 250 rounds and you should be running smoothly by then.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Shoot it----
    Then shoot it some more ;)

6. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Polish the feed ramp. Get some Wilson, and or McCormick mags, a few boxes of ammo and most importantly...............

Shot the snot out of it!!

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, the mags can be the key, and which ones suck differ

greatly from gun to gun, and user to user. So you can

probably trade away your bad mags.

A little(drop or two) of grease on the rails,

after cleaning, where

the slide meets the receiver won't kill you.

Also be sure you don't limp wrist during firing.

It'll jam you every time.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I do not have a Remington. But I do own and compete with a 1911. And mine is not an expensive gun. I own a $500 Citidel. It has run flawlessly from the time I took it out of the box. I did not need to break it in, in any way.

I would suggest a really good cleaning. 99% of dependability issues can be corrected with a simple cleaning. New guns should always be disassembled and cleaned before shooting.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree. a good cleaning and a light oiling of the moving parts should be all it needs.

in my many years now of owning and shooting 1911's, most problems stem from defective magazines. in most part, most 1911's are shipped many times with some of the cheapest crappy mags. if using higher quality mags like the Wilson Combat, the McCormack or Tripp Reseach mags and the problem persists, it needs to be looked at by a compentent gunsmith who is well versed in 1911's, if not under warranty. if it's still under warranty, then call the manufacterer and have it sent in for repairs.

if the pistol is under warranty, do nothing to the pistol, because this can void the warranty. if in doubt, read your warranty clause in the operators manual.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with AXXE 100%

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

From what I am reading, it is not consistent.

Did the slide remain back or try to go into battery?
    Did the slide push a round or not?
    Is it possible that your grip put a thumb near the slide stop?
    Is there a possibility of "limp wrist"?

Yours is the first comment I've seen on FTF problems with the R1. Do you have any resources on where you heard about this issue?

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

What would cause the slide to not lock back on a 3.5 inch 1911? After the last round is fired from the mag.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I had a similar problem yesterday at the range with my Remington. I went through 49 rounds without a hiccup. Round 50 made it half way into the chamber and jammed the gun. I blame the factory mag for that. Buy some Wilson Combat (or other high quality) mags, and the problem should be solved. I'll hopefully be getting some pretty soon.

Even the most expensive, best made 1911 in the world can experience problems if your using cheap mags.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The slide stop is not activated consistently by the mag.
    If it does it with different mags, then it is the slide stop.
    If it does it only with one mag, then suspect the mag.

Or there is a "Shock buffer" that allows the firearm to function, but not allowing the slide to go to the rear enough for the slide stop to "catch".

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Okay. Last time out, it shot normal for two mags, then proceeded to act that way. Same Wilson combat mag. Ill try different mags and slide stop for giggles. Thanks Dan

16. Bevo

Bevo New Member

The slide tried to go into the battery and the 6th round (each time the 6th round) just didn't properly load. I wasn't close to the slide stop nor was I limp wristing. The fact that it happened on the 6th round of each magazine makes me believe its a mechanical issue of some sort.

At the risk of pointing to another site for other resources, I saw the same issue with the 6th round misfeeding on a r 1 5 dot com.

I am going to give the pistol a good thorough cleaning and try again. Thanks to all who have weighed in on this thread, it's appreciated!

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If it is on the same round, out of the same magazine, I am inclined to believe it is the magazine. I had a similar problem with a pistol a year or two ago. It would FTF on the last round of a specific magazine. I disassembled the gun and the magazine and gave both a thorough cleaning. Ran fine after that.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I take an old t-shirt and some Flitz or Mothers polish and sit in my recliner and polish the feed ramp with my finger on every new 1911 I have ever bought. It's yet to void a warranty. And I doubt anyone at the factory would ever be able to tell.

It's common practice at my house.

19. Bevo

Bevo New Member

I have thoroughly cleaned the pistol. It was surprisingly dirty given it only has 14 rounds down range and I'm using ostensibly decent ammo. The AR15 I took to the same session was MUCH cleaner even though I was shooting cheap, dirty Wolf .223. I'm very cautiously semi-optimistic that the dirt played a part in my problem.

But then again, WTF do I know? :) I'll let y'all know later this week if I see any improvement. Thanks again for your informed opinions.

20. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

You are wrong. All my 1911s have run 100% out of the box. Quit buying junk 1911s that need "broken" in.