New 1911 for me

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dearhunter, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

After much research on line and found positive answers, I purchased a
    GSG .22 on a 1911 frame. The weight is close to a reg. 1911

First thing was to break it down and clean it. Just like any other 1911 except it has a screw in pin and a extra push through pin center frame. The overall quality is good. I read that once you remove the slide, the main frame will interact with any other 1911. Have not tried it yet, will look into that.

It is a great shooting gun!! after two boxes of ammo with no jams or misfires, I was very pleased. Shoots tight groups. With my point of aim, it is shooting a little high. The gun comes with three front sights. One on the gun and two others to adjust up or down sighting. All I did at the range was change my point of aim and I nailed the X in the middle of the target at thirty feet.
    It is a fun gun to shoot. At 320.00 at Buds, I think it is a good deal. See photos below.

[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have the same gun and made some changes you may want to consider. I removed the magazine safety which brings the gun closer the the 1911 pattern. The one weak spot of the GSG is its cast guide rod. I replaced it with a machined steel rod from CWA and can say it's worth every penny of the $22 price tag. Price includes GR and spring.

CW Accessories

Chet is a GSG shooter and makes great upgrades for the pistol. Fast shipping too!

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My sister just picked up a Sig 1911-22. I believe its made by GSG for Sig (any truth to that?). Seems well made and faithful to the 1911 moniker.

4. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Very Nice.
    Enjoy.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes, same gun with SIG markings.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It looks like a pretty good shooter. We're looking forward to trying it out.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I never can get to their website, Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, everytime I try to access the site.

8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The heck with internet explorer. I cant send any photos on photobucket unless I go through firefox.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Any recommendations for a set of thinner grips for the Sig/GSG? Also can you replace the mainspring housing for a flat one?

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

VZ Operators II (Full Size-Slim Line-Magwell)

Operators II in Hyena Brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, MSH will swap out with standard 1911 parts. When you remove the GSG MSH you also will be removing the mag-safety.

The MSH on my Colt above is a Smith & Alexander with mag-guide.

If you get a chance, call Alan Smith. He's a hoot! He and Barb are two of the friendliest, knowledgeable and customer focused business people I have ever run into!

1-888-722-1911

Tell him what gun you have and he or Barb will fix you up.

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

And be sure you tell them you heard about them on the FirearmsTalk.com forum!

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Hoss, it's what I grew up on.

[​IMG]

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Love it- Can't help bein old school :eek:
    Gotta be a lotta folk like the arched or there wudn't be a zillion out there - Just use wat feels gud i say :D

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Great Customer Service

Googled CW Accessories at work on Wednesday, my new guide rod & spring arrived yesterday. :D

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Check out the mag base plates as well, vast improvement over the plastic factory ones.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, but they're a tad spendy. [​IMG]

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

We went 1911 shooting today; I shot my SIG 1911 Nitron and my sister shot her SIG 1911-22.

First impressions: both are great right out of the box. The .22 did have a few FTFs i would think ammo related, but its a tack driver as was the .45 I'm Very impressed with both. I just wish the .45 were a bit more affordable to shoot. The range had the audacity to charge $33 a box (member price) so we only put 50 rounds thru the pistol, but not one issue. We had one of our friends with us (retired LEO) he was impressed with all of our SIGs (we shot my p229 as well).

Sis wants to change out the grips for something lower profile. From what I have read on this forum, apparently 1911 disease has already set in.

I gotta admit, I always thought the 1911 platform wasn't for me but I have to say, I was way wrong.

Just keep me in the loop when there's a deal on .45 ammo.