Never point... unless you intend to shoot it.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Anyone else have a problem with this supposed guideline?

I mean really, how could you carry a gun without it inevitably pointing at you, your leg or foot. You willing to shoot yourself then.

What about when in transit, or sitting in safe, or on the shelf at the market. Have we not gone way overboard with the paranoia?

I can't believe I still see and hear this used. It's incompetent and irrational, no?

Any others you can think of? What about always handle gun as if it's loaded...? Seems sound enough but maybe I'm missing something.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It kind of sounds like "A sword once drawn must draw blood".

I sometimes wonder what folks who are not familiar with the culture think when they hear some of the "rules".

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I think the warning is never point a weapon at any thing you don't intend to shoot. That could be a target of any kind. The point being don't be randomly pointing firearms at any thing without thinking.
    The pointing with intent means you are making a conscious decision about a predetermined target.:)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

BTB, you're seriously over thinking this and taking it way out of context. The context is, "in your hand, as if with the intention or ability to fire". Not, in your holster, so you'd better be willing to perforate your chair.

Pretty much how nitestalker just put it.

Come on man. You have more sense than that.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

My wife keeps my glock on her night stand. Her friend came over and asked if we sleep with it there. My wife said yea. Her friend said you are not worried about getting shot? I gust looked at her and said your stupid. She has been around guns and her dad loves guns. She just has a huge lack of knowing. We have tried to teach her. But I thank she eats paint chips. I had my AR out the other day and she asked ware you poor the powder at now. And yes she has seen it fired.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't worry about a gun sitting on a night stand or stuff like that. But I do think about shoulder holsters. You know the kind that point the gun directly behind you. I would not want to be standing behind someone that had to draw in a panic. Too many people do not use proper trigger finger control. It seems a lot of people have their finger on the trigger before it even clears the holster.

7. BWilder

BWilder New Member

i think youre over think it to much.

8. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

If you take her stupidity and multiply it by 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 you get the level of gun knowledge and common sense that the average politician has.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Seems like a simple, easily understood safety rule to me. Common usage and it's everyday meaning would not lend itself to your interpretation of it, IMO. I was taught that from the time I was six years old, and had no problem understanding it's meaning.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why would you tell a non-family member where you keep your firearms? The placement of a firearm for protection is a very private matter. What if your neighbor tells her nephew who is a Cat burglar. :confused:

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm guessing you are referring to me? We have known them a long time and her step dad is a huge part of my SHTF plan. I work out of town for weeks at a time. So if something happened while I was at work I would have to count on him to tend to everything until I get home. So he knows what I have. And it's only the gun on the nightstand she knows about.

And if a Cat burglar comes in my pitbull that sleeps on the foot of the bed will make sure he doesn't get to my gun before me or my wife dose.

This is him at 4 months. He is not a small dog by no means. Plus I have lab that would help out also.

Attached Files:

12. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

The rule's intention is about controlling your muzzle.....and I personally,can't see how that can BE overstated?

Just like treating it as it's always loaded.It prevents accidents.......and can't be stressed enough.

Once the rules are ingrained,and followed.......it becomes natural.

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I was taught never to point a gun at anything I didn't intend to shoot. It was a warning not to bluff or use the weapon as a source of intimidation. Good rule.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We move from one extreme to another and quickly, 1000 laws later and were parsing petunias to predict possible problems and prohibit access instead of train them young and punish them if they screw up. I do think the old rule of thumb to keep your weapon up and downrange as much as possible is a good rule but they have moved well beyond good rules to mandating uselessness!

Etiquette is a necessary part of most activities, weapon ownership is just one of them. Its just not polite to point any real gun at someone or something you wouldnt kill with it the need arises. The safes, locks, alarms and other stuff just go over the top for the general gunowner. I want to see my guns not hide them! I need to know I can grab one and shoot a criminal just as fast as a Raccoon dancing stupidly in the yard at noon or muskrat in my pond; not pray I can get the keys or dial a combination in event of eminent peril.

The reason we treat every gun like its loaded is that its not unreasonable to keep a loaded gun handy! No different than 1810, our lions and tigers and bears are just as lethal if not more so; ever vigilant means "Be Prepared". In my house, the rules are a bit stricter than just pointing, dont touch my guns without my permission, you just might get a surprise.

We dont lock out Kitchen knives up, the keys to our cars are on a hook in the kitchen, my gascans are in the shed and all forms of dangerous tools are in my wood shop, (Bang bang Maxwell Silverhammer)! But my guns are locked in a cabinet and the bullets are in another room?????? I dont need any of the other things instantly but my guns are a different story. Both Varmints and Criminals are fast buggers, they wont wait till your iron is hot!

15. Colby

Colby New Member

Actually Beyond is seems to be on the right track. This little saying is used often and in many places to mean "if you're in a situation that is so bad that you feel you have to pull your gun, then you must fire it"... "You pull your gun .. you fire it" ... "no wimping around about it".
    This comment is seen in many places and arguments. It reeks of machoism and inflexibility.

On a non-gun forum just two days ago they went through the same thing - with a "suppose it happens" scenario. Lots of tough talk.
    It was almost unheard of that a person could pull a gun and warn a perpetrator (BG) without firing.

Not to me...
    That saying is rubbish.

I hope not many younger, more impressionable newer shooters take it seriously and ingrain it into their thinking.
    That tough stance is out there.
    There is a lot of machoism - tough guy stuff in guns and the shooting world - and it should not be there.

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

Precisely. There's no such thing as overstating firearm/range safety. A casual attitude will lead to something unfortunate down the road.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Sigh. What the admonishment about not pointing a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot means is don't point at anything you aren't prepared to shoot--not that you HAVE to shoot, but be ready if necessary. A gun is not a magic wand that will assure compliance if you just wave it at somebody; the only power it has is to shoot, with the likelihood of causing bodily injury or death. Such power is not to be taken lightly, and do not point a weapon at somebody without being willing to take that responsibility seriously.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Guess it official?
    We've run out of reasonable topics to discuss :confused:

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your taking it too literal. The warning is that you better remember that unloaded guns have an alarming tendency to discharge a round so dont point it at yourself or another person.

It doesnt mean just because you cocked it a scootch towards your leg while holstering you should just put a round in leg....

There was an incident here in milwaukee with a marine holding a goblin who was kicking a woman to death at gunpoint. Just cuz he was pointing it at the goblin didnt mean he had to shoot it meant he was willing to if needed.

That saying is just reminder that firearms are dangerous and brings it to the fore front. Its not meant to be you gotta crank rounds just cuz you pointed it

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  20. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Couldn't have said it any better and in my younger dumber years this simple phrase that my Grand daddy taught me and ingrained in me certainly saved one persons life.