neighbors .....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rurak, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So we live in a duplex. We own our side and our neighbors rent ...... they just mounted a dish on the porch roof ..... new roof 7 years ago ....... my blood pressure is sky high right now ....... wtf

ForumRunner_20131203_145910.jpg

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

They couldn't find a better place to put that?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

who owns the roof? i understand that you own your half of the duplex, but someone else owns the other half? correct?

did they have permission from the landlord?

things like this are why i would never own a duplex.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

That and trashy neighbors who bring in roaches.

5. awahlster

awahlster New Member

If it leaks go up there with a tube of Blackjack and tar the whole thing in nice

6. Axxe55

i have always seen more potential problems in buying a duplex than there were advantages. i have passed on buying a couple in the past because of this.

and if your next door neighbor has roaches, you will have roaches.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I cannot get enough space between myself and my neighbors. I would be happy in a leaky old shotgun house at the end of a winding dirt road that couldn't be driven down without 4wd in the rain and sat smack in the middle of 500 acres of briars.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Last duplex I rented, a buddy set up a fake door frame and knob before I moved out, on the centerline wall as if it opened into the neighbor's kitchen.

I had a coworker who picked up a good deal on a big house that had been subdivided; he purchased it cheap enough that the renters downstairs covered the note.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

So- you've seen our place, huh? :D

10. rurak

rurak New Member

Haha we own from the studs in and a small yard. The exterior structure is common. I already called the landlord. They are removing it and putting it on a free standing mount and the landlord is fixing the roof. We are listing the place in the spring. Its an awesome place inside and its what we needed at the time. Our neighbors are nice but obviously not the brightest.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own a duplex as rental property , My lease says no type of any dish, satellite or anything attached to the roof, Basically if you do your deposit is gone. Im very up front about this . The people that live there now had cable and decided they wanted dish , While they were at work Dish came and installed one on the roof . Guess what ? They are *** out when they will be looking for their deposit . It really pisses me off because when they move out I will have to get up there take it down , pay to have it hauled off and patch up the holes . I have even cut down trees and removed the areas that are needed for Dish to get a good signal

12. Axxe55

i see your point and agree. when he satelite installers come to install a dish, most times, the roof mount is the easiest and the one included in the free install. a pole mount is extra cost, plus takes longer, and more materials.

i had mine installed on the eave.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I live in a place just about like DeltaF described. I have dish network. You would think a satellite dish would pick up a signal anywhere they put it. But on my place with nothing but trees to block the signal there are only a few places in my yard that one can get a signal. Dish put the first dish they installed at the end of my dog runner. The dog dug up the cable and chewed it up. What the hell did the technician expect. I wrote on the contract that I would not be responsible if the dog damaged the dish. Any idiot knows a dog will dig in fresh turned dirt. Plus I don't think the dog cares for animal planet. Dish sends another repairman out and he puts up a new dish in a place my dog won't chew up the damned thing and I shot up the old dish, it is a fine target stand. But the moral of the story is the OP's neighbor didn't have a choice where the dish was installed.

14. rurak

rurak New Member

Well right in the front of the house is a planter bed where a free standing mount would work fine. I've already replaced the siding where they had one and decided to take it down ....... they r having it removed and installed on a free standing mount and their landlord is fixing the roof. Im an electrician and I know for a fact that most cable and satellite installers go as fast as they can with minimal to no regards for customers property

15. Axxe55

satelite installers are paid by the job. different amounts depending on the install. the more istalls they do in a day, the more money they make. most installers are private contractors.

and yes they can do post mount installs, but they usually have to get the materials needed to do one as it's not a common install and costs extra to do.