Neighborhood Speeders

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by luckyj, Jan 11, 2012.

1. luckyj

luckyj New Member

What's a good remedy for a neighborhood speeder? My street ends in a culdesac (spelling?). The house at the end of the street is one of those that just constantly has people coming and going and they absolutely fly down my street. Christmas Eve Day, a couple of streets down, a speeder hit a 7 yr old girl retrieving a ball out of the street and killed her instantly. There are a lot of kids on my street and this is a worry for all of my neighbors as well. We have tried talking with the idiots and they're just a bunch of smartazzes. (Doesn't exactly go well with my temper. Lol) Obviously we have spoken with police but when these people see a cop car in the middle of the street they damn sure don't speed then. I can think of endless illegal ways of getting them to rethink their decision to speed down my street. It's the legal ones that I'm having a hard time coming up with.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ask the town for speed bumps? or a spike strip hehe

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

In my city, it's the volume and frequency of calls to city hall that determines what is done. Everything from stepped-up patrols, to installing 20 mph speed "humps". The way the humps are designed, you can actually hit them at 20mph, and it is like going over a smooth little hill. And unlike speed "bumps", that limit ones speed only to the extent of which one is willing to abuse their vehicle, these things will bounce your @$$ off of the headliner of the car if you hit them too fast. They have worked VERY well in my neighborhood.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Can you set up a camera? Maybe try turning the footage over to police?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I had to deal with one once and he got froggy but stopped.

5. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Believe me, I wanted to make my own spike strips and toss out there but thought better of it. Sounds like I need to encourage the neighbors to call the police every time these fools speed down our street. May make a call to the city this afternoon and get there take on adding a speed bump. Thanks again guys.

6. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Good idea. May just need to set up one of my game cameras in the front yard.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

It may just be a temporary fix but throw a couple of 2x4s out in the street in front of your house. If these people think they have to be in a hurry all of the time then they will probably be to lazy to get out and move them. It will make them slow down thinking there may be nails in them

8. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Man I hope whoever killed that little girl went to jail,I wonder what the law would say If someone tried to shoot him for fleeing the scene...

Anyways go through your local authorities first,if that doesn't work try politely and sincerly telling them a 7 year old was killed by a speeder just a block or two away and they might wanna slow down a bit. If that fails,and your close with the other neighboors and theyre on the same page.take note of who's doing it and wait till dark and no one is looking and bust out a taillight and get outa there before they get a chance to see you.

Disclaimer: the last statement was a "joke" and I do not advise the breaking of any laws.

.........but really

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I like this idea. Enough calls from enough different people will get things done, sometimes rather quickly. Request speed humps specifically, and explain what happens when a cop sits in the road and how you know the cop could be serving the community elsewhere. Tell all your neighbors to do so too.

And if they hit anyone, take care of it.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

By take care of it, do you mean shoot, shovel, and shut up? :D

Calling the cops every time they speed would probable get things done, so would the countless tickets from being caught on video.

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

In our town you would need a petition signed by the majority of your niehbors to have the city put speedbumps in. I would think a call to your city hall would put you on the right course. Good luck.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

It seems I neglected to specify. Notice how I'm still neglecting to specify? :)

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I notice. :D

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I agree with most I would go to the City or Town Council and present the case. Followed by a request for some fairly extreme speed bumps to be installed throughout the area. Possibly the police department has one of the radar and camera trailers which photographs the violators Plate. Were I am from you no longer have to ID the driver. The owner of the car is responsible for the vehicle. I know from experience and especialy if a child would have been killed or severely injured we would have been all over it. Usually even before with reports and complaints, we assigned an unmarked car or truck to work the area. If all else fails not that they are by any means my favorite people, with exception of Fox News who is mostly OK. If I did not get any cooperation I would go to the local media tell them about the speed and the little girls unfortunate death. And also ask them to do an area speed survey in the area and report on it. Usually being political creatures this gets politicians attention faster than most other sources since it shows the public that the officials are not doing anything about it. And for some that means Votes! Also you can contact the neighbors and put articles in the local news paper advising of the situation. Also showing up in force at town board meetings to file multiple complaints. And as one said have all of the neighbors call the police every single time it happens! Remember the old saying! The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil! Just some thoughts!
    Good Luck!

15. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Apparently they are still preparing charges for the guy and trying to decide if it is vehicular homicide. The guy said he was "ONLY going 40mph". If it had been my kid the creep hit, I'm afraid I would be the one on trial.

So many times I have just wanted to head down there and remove the valves from their valve stems. I'm talkin every tire on every car in the driveway. I would get so much enjoyment out of that. lol.

16. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

If a fatality involving a seven year old girl does not get the attention of the police, why would phone calls work? Getting all of your neighbors together at a local meeting (city council, township etc.) and let the local politicians understand that in the event this is not resolved, or at least addressed in a suitable manner, they will be held accountable. In the event another individual is harmed in a noted problem area, they could potentially bear some burden of responsibility. Otherwise, local elections will take their toll on the positions of the people choosing to ignore the situation.

17. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Great ideas. We will see how it goes calling the police everytime it happens and go from there. I'm a bit upset with the lack of media attention over this young girl that was hit. Let some idiot on a bicycle run a red light and get a bent wheel and they go nuts.

18. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I live in a residential neighborhood with a 25mph speed limit (one block for a school in fact). I have jackwagons that speed down my street all the time, I've had confrontations with some, most back down if I start walking towards their car.

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Contact your neighbors to assemble a coalition. Meet outside the household in question en mass (torches and pitchforks optional). Explain your collective displeasure.

If this is ineffectual.

Split focus still or video camera. Photos of plate number with speed gun reading. Present photos to the appropriate authorities. Present same to the media if necessary, with clippings of recent accident.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  20. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That is probably better advice than what I was thinking. I've got a black & decker heatgun that looks just like a radar gun. Except for the cord. Good luck.