needing help to identify an old gun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by gun owner, Sep 19, 2009.

1. gun owner

gun owner New Member

I bought this gun from a family friend. I have been looking everywhere online to find some kind of info about it. Anything that you can help me with, would be greatly appreciated. I'm interested in tracing the guns history. Thanks, Greg
    various pictures 6-6-09 007.jpg

various pictures 6-6-09 008.jpg

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

it kind of looks like a haenel-schmeisser model 1, but theres a couple little differences could be a diffrent model but same manufacturer,the other gun that comes to mind is a mauser w.t.p. old model. i hope this can help, keep us updated.

3. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

It's a Spanish copy of the Colt 1908 Pocket model

4. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

That looks like what is left of a Belgium proof mark on it.

5. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Dollars to donuts those are Spanish inspection and proofmarks. The first is the Proof house stamp (Eibar), second is year code, last is acceptance stamp. The Spanish "Triad".

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

agreed. It looks like any number of spanish .25acp clones made back in the day.

Don't break it. A million people made 5 million of those and finding parts that even remotely fit is a questly task.

7. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Your picture could use a little light. Also we would need more info, such as: Caliber, any names or patent dates, serial numbers, condition using NRA designations EX VG Good Poor. And what it looks like down the barrel. Also if you can shoot it would be helpful.
    Sarge

8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I dont know about the gun but would like to guess about the grips. Around the turn of the century ,20th, Ariel knife company developed a clear plastic that would allow photographs of self or loved ones, to be placed under the plastic before manufacture. The people in the photo's could possibly be the original owners of the gun.

9. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

gun

it may shoot,but there are no parts.and the safety is missing.they sold thousands of those before WW2.I have had a few.ant its amazing how the GI would pick up these guns.most GIs did not know a thing about guns.my friend carried an MG 42 across France to Italy and finaly thru it on side of road. many brought back good guns like lugers and P 38s.I bought a number for $20 with holster.and mauser broom handles before WW2 sold for $20.

10. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Being a Spanish made pistol of that era, it is worth about the $20 you mentioned old military guns were selling for back in the old days. I bought a lot of those old war trophy's back in the 60's but never for $20. The going rate was under $100 for very good to excellent guns and down to $20 for poor guns. I bought a German Luger for $75 once and a Browning Hi Power in ex. cond. for $125. Ohh what good memories.
    Sarge

11. superc

superc Member

Well, because it is clearly a .25 it isn't a Ruby, but I have no doubt it was made by one of the many contractors for the Ruby. In the pre-WWII era tens of thousands of those Spanish clone type .25s (with components built in peoples homes one part at a time) flooded the world (also .32s and .380s). That's a crossbolt safety, and it is very possible a crossbolt safety from another pistol of that era can be made to fit. I would pick up a used 1908 safety and make it fit, if it was mine. Then I would dump it on Gunbroker if I didn't know who the people in the grip photos were. Set your reserve price at $50 and someone will buy it.

12. CarolynB

CarolynB New Member

The Grips

I like the grips. I've never seen anything like that before.

Carolyn

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The thread is now one year old. If you want to keep posting, you have to buy a birthday cake. :D