Needing a very rugged backpacking rifle.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by InTheWoods, Aug 11, 2011.

1. InTheWoods

InTheWoods New Member

I hope that I am posting this in the correct sub forum, as I wasn't sure if hunting or long rifles was correct.

I am a frequent backpacker and camper (I usually go solo, its therapeutic for me), and get into some some tougher terrain. I currently own a Remington 710 that I received as a gift in 2002, and have barely used it simply because I have never enjoyed the .30-06 round (which is also unnecessary around these parts).

What I am seeking out is a seriously tough, never die rifle that is accurate and of a light-ish weight. I abuse my rifles pretty bad, and would love some suggestions on where I should look. I am not stuck on the Remington brand either, though it would be a plus.

I also feel it is important to mention that I could not afford anything really over 650 dollars (though I'm willing to consider higher prices).

I would love to trade this 710, but that is for another sub forum.

Thank you all for your time,

Fletch.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Do you hunt while you camp & hike, or is this more for animal defense & plinking?

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

4. InTheWoods

InTheWoods New Member

It's a 70/30 split I would say between animal defense/plinking and hunting. I have always love the .308 round, however am unfamiliar with the lesser known calibers.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

If you didn't need a large caliber for large game, you might consider one of those foldup keltec rifles. I don't own one myself. The only ones i know of are .223, though, and that might feel limiting.

Kel Tec CNC

6. InTheWoods

InTheWoods New Member

I saw some of those kel-tec folders, and while quite capable of taking up minimal space my pack, I think I would still like something a little beefier looking.

One item I had seen and thought about was the Remington 700 SPS series.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Pick up either a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever gun. It will do everything you have stated you want. Just buy a carbine length and you're good to go.

They're rugged, packable and if bears aren't a concern, they'll take most game in North America.

If you buy a used one, you can find them anywhere from around $300. on up depending on condition. There are safe queens out there going for really good prices if you're patient and look hard enough. The money you save buying used will purchase a decent amount of ammunition.

.30-30 has probably brought more deer meat home than any other rifle in the Country.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Oh yeah, I forgot... Lever guns are really cool too. :cool:

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r your 308 in nato is 7.62x51, winchester model 94 30-30 is fun. I usually carry my mosin and my taurus model 66, when I go into the woods I to abuse my guns, first week with my rem 870 I broke the stock off.

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Couldn't agree more with CA357. A good Winchester 1894 30-30 would be an excellent choice, and as a matter of fact that's what I carry a lot of the time when on my cousin's farm. If you want something with a little more authority than a 30-30, you could get the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Government. If you don't want a lever action you could try an AK 47 with an underfolding stock or something like that.

11. InTheWoods

InTheWoods New Member

A lot of very good advice in here. It seems like lever action 30-30 is the way to go! My only concern is that I have been shooting bolt action my entire life, and am only slightly concerned that the lever action would feel so foreign to me.

Are they easy to adjust to?

12. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Another vote here for the 30-30, I have a marlin that was a gift, and have taken it many times, a lever gun is a bit heavy but it's nice and short for going in thick woods, and with a sling I find it easy to walk around with.

13. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

They're easy to adjust to. It's like using a bolt action, but the only difference is the location of the bolt if you think of it that way.

15. opaww

opaww New Member

You might look at Rossi single shot rifles also

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Another vote for the Winchester Carbine (16" barrel) in 44 mag-45 Colt or 30-30 :cool:

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

All of the rifles mentioned will do. My suggestion, if money is an issue, is a Mosin Nagant M-44 for around $150.00. It is very rugged, reliable and has the power to stop any American critter. Just take off the bayonet and put on the sling and you are ready to go. These guns are also inexpensive to shoot for a high-power rifle with 440 rounds costing around $110.00 to your door. With a M-44 you won't have to worry about scracthing the finish or dinging the stock; it was already done for you.;)

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Unfortunately, you would have recoil like a 30.06, but you

could probably shed a lot of weight with a synthetic stock.

Rifle, stock, and 440 rounds would probably put you out

@425$ total.

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

You may want to consider one of the carbine length bolt actions - Remington Model 7, Ruger M77 Compact, or Savage's new M11 Lightweight Hunter.

20. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Old guns

I recomend a cz vz(czec verzion) 24 rifle, its an 8mm mauser bolt action rifle, and it doesnt kick like a mule( mosin nagant). 8mm mauser ballisticaly is pretty durned similar to the .308. All in all with 500 rounds of ammo, the gun, and a sling, thats about 300 to 400 depending on how pretty you want it to look when you buy it. only problem is if you want a scope, most of these rifles arent drilled and tapped so that would be another couple hundred dollars. oh yeah and they were made for war so they are obviously durable.