Needed: Mini-14 stock for a series 180 rifle

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Gryff, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Gryff

Gryff New Member

I have acquired a Series 180 Mini-14 (original production design), but it was in an after-market pistol-grip stock. I want to put it back into a traditional-style stock, but everything out there seems to be for the post-180 series.

If you have an old Series 180 Mini-14 stock that you don't need, please let me know. Would actually prefer something with some wear to it, as long as it is structurally sound (no cracks) since I would prefer not to pay a premium for something in "New Old Stock" condition.

Thanks.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I would suggest the following.
    Search early and often.

http://gunbroker.com
    http://ebay.com

I found hits on wooden stock only

You may have to know how to tell an 180....

I'll take a look at mine and see if there is a way to tell.

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I put a Hogue on mine but I'm pretty sure it's post 180 series. (wonder where that wooden stock went.)

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

From what I am finding on what little research I have done. . . click . click .click. click.......click.

It apears that the 180 series is the only series with the wooden upper hand-guard.

The upper handguard is retained by a C-shaped (serif) spring clip.

I would think that at least three parts would be required to complete your stock.
    1. Stock with buttplate
    2. Upper handguard.
    3. Spring Clip....

5. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

What KG7IL said plus all of the metal for the interior of the stock and is often missing when buying used. I recently gave away two of the wood hand guards!

6. Gryff

Gryff New Member

Yep. Have saved searches that check every day.

I wish I did. Google has not been my friend in finding out how to visually differentiate between the revisions.

7. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

ruger doesn't support the 180, so there really isn't much out there. i doubt anyone makes new stocks to fit the 180 model.

you are in the used market obviously, and you will have to be patient.

what really sucks, 3-4 years ago NUMRICH had tons of 180 and other mini wood stocks at amazing prices. i actually bought a walnut stock from them for like $60, and then realized it was for a 180 series and sent it back (and it was gorgeous). they had NICE regular factory stocks for $38...i bought 2.....even then they were very tough to find at a good price.

the problem, i let the word out on a forum, and they got wiped out. they don't have any today. doubt they'll get more, it must have been a large purchase from law enforcement or something.

iknow it doesn't help much...but there will be something out there. it might take awhile to find it.

in addition to standard looking on the webs, i would hit every gun forum with a classified and post a "want to buy" thread.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Isn't it in the serial number? A 18X prefix? If I remember correctly there is also something different about the bolt release on them.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I did not see a serial number on my stock. I have seen this on SKS and some other firearms. The only serial number I have seen is the receivers S/N.

I'll take a look again, but I don't think the stock is serialized.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It won't be on the stock. I was thinking you had the rifle the stock came off of. Sorry about that.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

No problem. He has the rifle, but wants to return an original stock to the rifle.
    So finding the 180 series stock is the problem.

12. hawkguy

bingo! and considering the prefix "180" designates an older design of the mini...one which is no longer in production or supported by the company...finding a stock the 180 will fit is a challenge. they are cut differently than the "new" stocks, and they are no longer made.

thus why virtually every mini after market stock designates "post 180"....

13. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

Did you ever find a stock?

14. Gryff

Gryff New Member

Yes. Found one on eBay for $36 shipped. Now the frustration is getting the gun out of the Maxi-14 stock that it's in. I can't find instructions online for the stock, and for the life of me, I can't tell what is securing the gun in the stock.

I wish I wasn't such a moron about mechanical issues. I'm fine with instructions, but not so good with improvisation.

15. replacement

replacement New Member

maybe if you post few pictures we could try and help you out. It should not be very hard to remove the stock. On a factory stock and assume your aftermarket stock works the same way, you have to remove the trigger group by lifting the trigger guard up. the trigger group comes out and the rife slides out of the stock.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzKqg-r6gok[/ame]

many videos on YouTube that will help you out.

16. hawkguy

yup. disassembly should be pretty much the same. check some youtube videos.

should be able to use a screwdriver or such, to pry out the trigger guard and loose the action....

17. replacement

replacement New Member

I wonder if the OP ever got his stocks off,

Am I twisted, or is that border line just "wrong" wording?

18. Gryff

Gryff New Member

Been buried in a work project. No time available for getting my stocks off. Will report in once I get my stocks off successfully.

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

How much is a later models stock worth ? I changed out to Hogue for my mini and have never looked back. Didn't know there was a demand for them.

Funny, I like the syn stock on my mini but jury is still out on my 870 Express ?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014