Need your opinion on an upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jhog, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jhog

jhog New Member

I was thinking of building an AR totally from scratch however, after adding up all the bits and pieces, it seems to be a little more cost effective to buy a complete upper and build a lower. I am leaning towards the White Oak .223 varmit upper. I have read good things about them. It will be 18 in. bbl rifle lenghth gas sys. and 1-7 twist. Cost is $613.00 shipped. Thought this is a good price. My funds are limited to under $1000.00. Any thoughts on this upper?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

never heard of white oak, got no opinion for ya. just didnt want ya to feel ignored :)

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've heard good things about them but no first hand experience. Hope you get more feedback on them.

As far as building an upper, do it if you have a real reason - otherwise it makes more sense buying a complete upper from a quality maker. I don't want to buy the tools and even if I had them you can get great deals on assembled uppers. I'm ok with researching and choosing all the parts that go in the upper but I'll let the factory assemble it.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have had Great experience w/ WOA. I opted for the 18" SPR w/ rifle length gas port. Goggle them Im sure youll find plenty of good reviews. I think you would be very happy w/ WOA.

5. jhog

jhog New Member

That is what I was going for before I tallied up the cost so I opted to buy a complete upper. It's basically the same as yours except it has a taget crown.

6. jhog

jhog New Member

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool.

I honestly prefer factory assembled uppers. Although Ive assembled 2 already and am waiting on a barrel to finish a third.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Long day at SHOT with Scubie, so I am less than 100%.

More to add later but White Oak and Lother are excellent choices.

More to add this weekend.

JD