need your opinion on .22 lr semi auto pistols

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by indyfan, Feb 3, 2010.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Well, my tax refund is coming in, and I want a .22 lr pistol

Here are my options (from what my dealer carries)

Ruger Mark III - 300.00

S&W Model 22A- 285.00

Puma 1911-22 - 289.00

Which do you think is the better deal?

Has anyone ever heard of Puma brand firearms? I know its made in the US but thats about it

Puma 1911-22
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I can't say anything about the other two because I have not used them. But the Ruger Mark III is a great gun, you will not regret that purchase and that sounds like a good price. If you look at the past threads you will also see the Ruger Mark III gets great reviews from many many people.

3. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I have owned and really liked the Mark III

I currently own and you might want to consider a Browning Buck Mark Camper it's in the same price range.

[​IMG]

I'm not suggesting it's any better than the Mark III, but it's just as good or better.

Oh, I added the optic's after I bought it.

When I take it to the range (all the time) everyone wants to shoot it.:cool:

It is accurate :)

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There are 2 1911 22lr handguns called the Puma. One is made in Ohio, The one in your Pic is a Rossi. Made in Brazil. You should buy a 1911 in .45acp and a conversion kit!:)

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

With guns (along with everything else in life) "you get what you pay for." Of the ones you listed, the Ruger Mk III is the only one I own...

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ruger MkIII

Browning Buckmark

That is all you need to know for a target type pistol. Unless you want to drop $1k on a 22 pistol them you can get the Smith Model 41 that there is a SWEET semiauto target pistol.

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

That is a beautiful gun, but I cant afford it, Im keeping my options around 300.00 if possible, the buckmark was going for 400.00 at my local dealer

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I picked up a Beretta Neos for $200 6.5" barrel. Some on here (OLD GEEZERS) think it is ghay looking. I don't care it was a good deal and shoots great.

9. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

I have a S&W 22a and while it works well, after about 2000 rounds, I'm starting to get jams; usually one per clip with just about any ammo.

I'm thinking of getting either a Buckmark (the grips are absolutely wonderful) or waiting for the new Ruger 22/45 with REMOVABLE GRIPS (LINK)! I read on a SHOT show review they will accept standard 1911 grips! I haven't heard when they are going to be available though and I've never been the patient one.

A friend has a Ruger Mark III and loves it. Just make sure you own a rubber mallet for cleaning! :p

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Think it's ghey?????

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

This, as well as a second on the Neos. Tango, you know your 22's.

12. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Thats too bad, I was going to get the 22a, now Im worried

13. 995

995 New Member

I have the Ruger it shoot's so sweet .

14. silver_q2002

silver_q2002 New Member

hey i just bought me a ruger mk 3 22/45 5 1/2inch yesterday and i absolutly love it!!!
    its a great little gun
    though i was surprised how heavy it was for a .22 but still cant complain its great..

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Browning buckmark FTW! You won't be disappointed.

16. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

indyfan

I bought my Buck Mark Camper for $279 at Academy Sport & Outdoor - it was on sale - :D

If you shop you can find one for $300 or under.

:cool:

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If you want something to just have fun with and blow through ammo, you should also consider a P22. Not gonna win any competitions with it, but its fun, wont jam/misfire, and def in your $300 range.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Picked up a NIB Ruger Mk III about 6 months ago- $250 cash from my dealer- you might ask "Is there any wiggle room in that price?". If you have cash in hand, never hurts to ask. Got the Mk III to keep my Mk I company in its old age. The Mk III shoots like a carbine, eats whatever I feed it. Controls are all in the right place. The Browning is also a nice pistol- I just like Rugers. Ref: Rubber mallet for cleaning- learn the trick of re-assembly (know when to turn it upside down, when to turn right side up) do it once, and you can do it in your sleep. I realize it was shameless of me, but I have bought more than one gun at a steeply discounted price because "It don't work right." (Helps if you put the pieces back in the right order! :rolleyes:)

If your budget is really tight, do some shopping for a USED Ruger- I swear you could wear out a ball peen hammer before you wear one of these out.

19. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

I love my S&W 22a but $285 is way too much to pay for one. Cabela's has them for $199.00.

20. russ

russ New Member

My dad has a S&W 22A and has lots of jams. Can't even get a full 10rd mag through it using anything but CCI mini-mags. I have a Buckmark and it eats whatever I throw at it. I looked at the Buckmark and the Ruger, and while I am a huge Ruger fan, the MKIII just didn't fit my hand like the Buckmark did.