Need your help!!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by maso157, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maso157

maso157 New Member

Alright so I am 18 but have one more year of highschool. I have set my personal goal to have an ar 15 ASAP. However since I'm still in highschool I'm having trouble convincing the mom that I should have one. I already have a shotgun. Every self respecting man in my state has at least one gun. She doesn't see the practicality or what I'll use it for. (target shooting mostly and whatever else. Home defense if the ever comes up. I know it's kinda big for that but I'm not gonna rule it out.) anyways I need a list of reasons to convince her that it not only should be allowed but encouraged for me to own an ar15

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all, stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

well my suggestion would be to finish high school and graduate, get a job and a place to live and support yourself and then there would be no reason to have to make a list of reasons to get an AR for your mother. it's called being an adult and being responsible. you need to learn your needs from your wants. then you start putting some money back and start saving for one is the way you get one. set a realistic goal and then start saving for it. if you set a goal and follow through, you will have saved up enough before you know it.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

axxe55 is right on. I would put all of those things above an AR15. I own one. But but my diploma and my own place would have come first. The only thing better than your first place is the love of a good woman.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your mother is right. Your priorities are out of wack. Your in school, no job, living in your parents home there is no need for you to have something like that until your taking care of yourself.

5. maso157

maso157 New Member

Ok well to be honest I will probably continue saving and trying to convince her despite what you guys say. I'm a smart guy. I will be an engineer some day and I am not really worried. I can't move out of my moms house because of the highschool I am going to. They have a rule that students mist live with parents or an appropriate guardian despite their age.

However I will probably continue saving for this rifle. Thanks for your guys time.

6. Axxe55

personally i find any of that hard to believe until you learn to see to your needs rather than your wants. until you learn to put your priorities first, achieving anything such as being an engineer will likely never happen. if you ever learn to be paitent and to make your priorities the first order and quit thinking like a kid and start thinking like an adult, you might be able to afford many of them one day. when i left home and on my own, i was worried about a roof over my head, food in my belly and gas in my car to go to work. guns were not a priority by any means. as i got older and made more money and could take of my priorities, and had some extra money, i started to save up and buy some guns.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You know, I've got to say this. When I was 18, right about this day (actually 6/26/1966) I joined the Army. They handed me an M14, then I blinked my eyes and they handed me an M16 in Vietnam. 18 year olds do have choices and it's getting time to lead your own life. I see lots of kids wasting time when there are choices. The military isn't a bad choice, you'll become a man and serve your country. We could use a few more young people serving our country.

Don't know why you haven't already graduated but something to keep in mind.

8. Axxe55

Quenton, excellent advice! he would learn responsibility and they would turn him from a boy and into a man. he could learn a trade, get money for college and learn to take care of himself.

9. connectegr

connectegr New Member

There will certainly be a time when the shooting hobby and a rifle collection will be practical. I would agree with your mother that there is no practical reason for you to own an AR15 while in high school. I am also an engineer, and can attest that your finances and attention will be better served on other priorities if your intent is an engineering degree. Money and time for shooting are a luxury afforded with hard work. Many shooting ranges have a selection of rifles for rent. I don't know the laws in your state, but you are a few years from selecting an AR without parental support. Best of luck with your diploma and degree. There will be plenty of time for a shooting hobby. And there are several careers that can support this interest much more than engineering.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

When the time comes.. it will be yours. For the time being, listen to your mom as suggested by others.

11. fetep

fetep New Member

Some great advice here! I bought my first AR about 5 mos. ago, I am 39. I am FINALLY at a point in my life where I have enough extra income to start an AR habit. Haha. I thought the 1800 dollar gun would be the big expense. LOL yeah right! I spend about 400 a month in ammo, and another 400 or so in AR stuff;-)

Enjoy high school! Your time will come.

Fetep

12. maso157

maso157 New Member

So is there any gun you would suggest me looking into now or are you all saying I should wait to get one?
    Also u have been considering joining the military and have applications to west point and the air force academy being considered right now. I am a successful wrestler and football player. I am an a student. I hate when people assume off of one thing I want that I am irresponsible, naive or in other ways childish. Some kids my age like golf, some like computers, some drugs and alcohol. I like guns. I don't see a difference in importance of my hobby to anybody playing golf.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you don't have a lot of disposible income, a more precision oriented build would probably be better. The main reason being, ammo costs >>>much greater>>>rifle cost. A RRA or a build with a stainless barrel, wylde chamber and floated handguards.

14. maso157

maso157 New Member

So like what gun are you thinking? Are you suggesting a certain gun or just a certain type?

15. maso157

maso157 New Member

And also I never said and never have thought of putting an ar 15 in between me and a college education. If I was in college running low on money I would not become a hobo with an assault rifle I'd sell the thing and get a new one when I become that engineer. I am not stupid. I have a great future ahead of me and I am not going to let things squander it. I do see where you guys are coming from. But I'm looking to build mine. Using a part of my paycheck to buy parts the rest to save for college/emergency. I'm not an idiot. I already have a decent chunk of change saved up all the way back from my childhood of doing jobs and putting a little birthday money etc. I have my life pretty squared away. The next five years will just be finishing off the good start I've already got. So please stop with assuming I don't have my life straight just cause I want an ar 15 at age 18. Cause we all know what it means to assume

16. fmj

fmj Active Member

Took me 42 years to get an AR!! Listen to your mother, lad! Being the dad of 22, 17 and 13 y/o's i will tell you like i tell mine. When you're out on your own, you can have/do whatever you want. But until you pay your own rent on your own place...what momma (or daddy) says is LAW!

Relax lad, it will come. As stated before. there is SO much more important in your near future than an AR.

17. Axxe55

i am of the same belief as FMJ, as long as you live at home, it's your mother's house and she gets to set the rules. house rules. her house, her rules. the fact that you're old enough legally to buy one, doesn't override that fact. there will be plenty of time to get an AR. slow down, keep your priorities in order and concentrate on your education.

there may be some small part of assumption on our part, as we see many that come on here who want something and just because it's cool or any other assorted reasons. many of them don't have their priorities in order. young and impatient. and even if it was golf, and your mother didn't want you to spend $2000 on the best set of golf clubs, i would still agree with her. i am glad that you have the passion for firearms. another choice is, find someplace that rents them and and rent an AR to shoot. as AT suggested, builf one. a piece, here a piece there. it will take longer, but you could build one cheaper and have a better quality AR, but it would take a little longer than just walking into a gun store and buying one.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  18. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

When I got married we were both in college living in a small apt in Atlanta and all we had was a bed a cheap table and sofa, not TV. The wife was going to Emory University Medical school and I was working and attending Georga Tech. I'm a retired M.E.E.
    Engineering used to be a good profession. Get your education first , then buy guns or get a job and your own place. When I got out of High School, I couldn't wait to get away from home. You're young and have dreams and they will come true later, much later, but it's worth the wait.

19. maso157

maso157 New Member

Ok this thread has clearly lost the meaning I was going for. And I was planning on a gradual build. Like a stripped receiver here and build off that get a stock later and attach that and work it up till I have a good rifle that I built for not a terrible amount of money.

20. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I think you are missing the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.