Need your help. Lights on or off??

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DodgerBlue, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Ok we recently bought a home in a "nice" area. It's on a golf course.
    At night that hole is DARK, can't see a thing, like a void space then there's the homes on the other side.
    Well we keep our patio, front door, and car port lit up at night. Within the last month twice we have some sticky finger M.F.rs come and take this or that. In the military we called it target of opportunity. Just can't leave anything outside.
    My question is are the lights helping or hurting? Some say keep it dark and they cant see. or keep it lit so they can be sneaky in the dark somewhere eles.
    What do you all say?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unless you have good night vision sights on a rifle, keep it lit. Most thieves are a bit shy. and do not like the light. But take a hard look at how your lights shine. Mine shine in their eyes as they approach, not in mine. Makes for a much cleaner sight picture. PS- several of mine are motion detector floods. The "startle" effect of a light suddenly coming on can be discouraging.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Have you thought about lights on motion sensors? They stay off until someone gets to close and that should startle anyone whose is just looking for a target of opportunity.

4. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

i have motion on the sides but old fashion 100w on the mains

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

was there any time frame for the theiving? weekdays, weekends??.. take a few days off work and stay up all night watching... motion sensors would be a good option i think.

6. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Might purchase a cheap security camera w/night vision & recorder. When they come back, being new to the area you probably won't recognize the sobs, but the police might.

Be sure to leave out some nice "bait" for the folks! :D

Otherwise I'd think the more light the better.

7. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Leave one or two on and have a couple more on motion sensors.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

These, in combination. The NV camera systems are becoming MUCH less expensive. They had a decent, multi-camera, night vision system with a 250 gigabyte DVR on woot.com the other day for about $300. The cool thing now is to be able to check in on your smart phone.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I keep my lights on. I also have a spinner target that I sometimes deliberatly leave sitting on my front porch. It is shot to crap. Nobody messes with anything in my yard. Just saying.

10. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Awesome! Now, I know where to get a free spinner target! Thanks!

:D

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You could get a couple of bodies and impale them on spiked poles set in your lawn. It’s how Valid the Impaler discouraged dishonesty. I understand it worked well for him. I don’t even think you’d have to light it up for it to have an effect. ;)

12. Rick1967

I would like to get a sign for my front door. Something like, "Home invaders will be carried out in a bag."

That was a joke of course.

13. jca1

jca1 New Member

two words.....wildlife camera

14. Rick1967

Yea, that's a good idea.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

The wildlife camera might be easier and cheaper than an installed set of security cameras, but they aren't free and are quite portable and not so hard to remove. Just sayin'; pawn shops would probably not have trouble selling a lightly used game camera come fall.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

Put up some "Beware of Dog" signs.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think this is a good idea.

When I took my son to the range I asked him if he wanted to take his targets home. He said "What for?" The guy in the lane next to us said "Hang them on your front door." Might be a good idea. :D

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you turn the lights off when you go somewhere during evening?

Trip wires that turn on special lights and siren?

electric fencing?

19. OC357

OC357 New Member

I have been thinking of this myself to put out back. I could probably get a bunch of pics of the neighbors cat....a possum, woodchuck, and a racoon or two and then there is a big fat skunk around here too....haha

I always leave lights on when I am out at night.

I have security lighting that is motion activated.

Good thread.

OC

(ps......I have a squirtgun.....:p:D)

20. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I grew up close to a golf course. It's kids, I don't think either way will matter. I would make it a point to stay up late, if it is kids a good shouting should help.