Need VooDoo Man (I Need Patches Read Please!)

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Joshua M. Smith, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Hello,

I'm barely keeping my groups in the 9 ring at 50 yards. Granted, I can't see worth crap, but I'm not liking the looks of a few patches that came from my rifle.

Patch material is .008" pillow ticking (off one of my old pillows), compressible to .0075". Load is 70gn Pyrodex FFg.

[​IMG]
    Lube moistened patch (just enough to feel it)...

[​IMG]
    Lube saturated patch (can see it standing and wets things it touches...

[​IMG]
    Same as the second pic...

I was using old T-shirt material, but was told that it was too loosely woven. However, I was getting decent accuracy and it was holding together like the number two and three patches with just spit lubed.

I think this stuff is just old and thin, and blowing apart. I know I find lots of lil' pieces in front of the rifle if they're not saturated.

The balls are supposed to cast at .490", but they mic at .492".

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

A felt wad will stop that. Course I'd go to Wal-Mart or the likes and buy new pillow ticking too.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I used only Natural flannel and bore butter to lube my ML. I started buying pre-lubed patches as it was actually cheaper. I never shot at 50 yards. 100 was the minimum w/ patched round ball in a .50. 1:48.
    http://possibleshop.com/s-s-patch.html

4. nwhunter

nwhunter New Member

I agree! It sounds like he's blowing by those thin patches.
    Like you say, A felt wad will stop that, but pillow ticking, or even drill cloth should solve it also.If you don't have felt wads, wasp nest makes a good over powder material. Make sure the owners are gone before collecting:D

Might try some crisco, or olive oil for lube.

5. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Wasp nest? Really? Why, what's that do?

When I use wads (like, if I might leave the rifle loaded and de-capped), I just use a jumbo cotton ball.

I get a nice dandelion puff when I touch off, too! :D

Josh

6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

When you buy pillow ticking I get .015 and wash it . This will tighten up the weave and bring it up to about .018. I use 1 part Balitol and 3 parts water. The Balistol will emulsify with the water. Soak your patches in this , then lay out to dry overnight. This is the best combo I have found .
    Hope this helps.
    F.K.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Dunerunner is that hoppies #9 Black powder sovent or the regular hoppies #9?
    Thanks F.K.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This a here one Hoppe's 9 - No. 9 Plus

10. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

.015 patch should solve your problem.. The patch is blowing apart due to blow by. Wads are fine in a revolver, not in a rifle. If you can't find Irish linen, get the tightest weave cotton you can find. I take my micrometer to the fabric store and in a few min. Iv'e got my patch material. Just a reminder, there is a lot of good information on the 'net, there is also a whole lot of crap. Verify to your satisfaction prior to shooting.:)

11. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

A few thoughts ...

Patching material should always be a very tighly woven unsized, washed, never permanent press or "wrinkle-free, 100% cotton material. Pillow ticking is very good but/and comes in a variety of thicknesses. You'll have to find the right one.

Blown patches (like yours) can come from a fit that is too tight (they are cut during loading in a muzzle without sufficient crown) or too loose ("cut" by gasses blowing by the ball/patch combo).

A rough bore can also contribute.

Be careful of any patching when hunting. Be very, very careful of wasp nest or other wadding. Both will start a fire if smoldering patches/wadding find dry tinder.

I assume you are shoot a 50 caliber rifle. The land-to-land dimension in these can vary greatly. Keep trying until you find a ball/patch combo that leaves a hole free patch after firing. It will make a WORLD of difference for you.

Feel free to follow up if you have questions ... and, keep your powder dry!

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

To make the weave tighter wash it and put it in the dryer this will shrink it and make it tighter.
    F.K.

13. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Patches

I use Army rifle patches. The 5.56 ones work perfect for my .50 ca. ball rifles. And I don't even have to trim them, just lub them with Bore Butter and run it down the tube. Very accurate in my Hawken.
    Sarge