Need to learn

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by niteglock, Jul 30, 2012.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Need help learning about rifles. I have pistols down but no rifle experience. Is there any website to teach about different rifle types, scopes/sighting (like all the terminology and how to use scopes efficiently) oh and what does MOA mean. When people say 3MOA or 4? And also ammo sizes and lethality. I just bought a M&P15-22 and have the flip up mbus sights but also want a scope/red dot for long range shooting and don't want it to be in the way of the mbus if those are up. What is the difference with scopes/red dots/reflex/acog. I am determined to make a badass looking rifle and have it shoot good and far also. But I don't want to put no 200.00 scope on a .22 rifle u know. Thanks.

2. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

MOA is a increment of measurement at 100yds I believe, more of a sniper thing. I prefer measuring the overall diameter of the group you have shot and subtracting the bullet diameter. A red dot scope is more of a combat style sight for getting on target fast, not as good as a conventional crosshair for target shooting and precision work. Im sure many here can put it much better then I.

Badshot

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Technically, MOA (minute of angle) is a measurement of an angle. It equals a width of ABOUT 1 inch at 100 yards. A Red dot that is "5 MOA" would have a dot that on a taget at 100 yards would cover a 5 inch circle. Or a shot group of 2 MOA at 100 yards would be about 2 inches wide.

Now, Dirty Harry said "A man's gotta know his limitations.." There limitations to firearms. A .308 (in the right rifle) can shoot accurately at 900 yards. A .22 LR is running out of steam at over 100 yards, and beyond 150, drops like a bad habit.

Rifles can also be sorted out by type of action (lever, pump, bolt, semi, etc) and purpose (benchrest, plinker, sporter, etc) You would not use a lightweight .22 for serious target shooting- and would not want to CARRY a 12 lb benchrest gun squirrel hunting.

4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

There's a lot of really good information on this forum. Just use the search feature for key words. :)