Need to install a Sling swivel Stud.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by cpttango30, Jul 27, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK I have this.
    [​IMG]

I want to put it on this. (the one in the middle with the white diamond). I figured I would put it half way between the diamond and the other swivel stud.
    [​IMG]

It says 10-32 What drill size should I use for the hole? What should I use to hold it in the stock? This stud id only going to be used for a bipod.

I was thinking something like this to glue it in. Shop Devcon 0.84-Oz. 5 MinuteĀ® Gel Epoxy at Lowes.com

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Any good epoxy should work. As far as the size of the drill bit, I just place the bit next to the piece and use the Mark 1 Eyeball comparison.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that. LOL..... :D

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Because that stock is one expensive piece of California Black Walnut.

6. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Assuming you are removing the stock to do the work, I would drill the hole from the finished side of the stock the same size as the insert.

Then from the inside, dremel out enough material (2X insert dia. ?) to give it a good hold, and I would use the bedding compound as suggested. Protect the finished wood area well with tape or some form of release agent to prevent any overflows from getting on it.

I'm no gunsmith however!

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The 10x32 part is the metal threads of the stud itself. I'd recommend drilling the hole 1 size bigger than the insert and using Acra-Glas Gel to ensure the insert won't ever come out.

8. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Good suggestion here.........however, you can just use a larger size drill bit instead of a dremel on the inside.

If you're not removing the stock to do the job, then one size over drilled and epoxy it in place.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

He's GOT to remove the stock if he don't want to chance permanently gluing the stock to the barrel! I wouldn't make the hole a full 2x the size of the insert however. The hole can be just a little bigger than the insert.