Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Professor, Jan 9, 2014.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I would guess it's the weight. Water is heavy and then stainless steel and brass are added.
    I tumble, empty the media, and reload. I don't dry dishes, and my wife won't dry brass, so there ya go!

2. bradam

bradam Member

Dry media with tumbler? How much weighed media? length of time tumbling? Very interesting prospect.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

When I started, thumler's was the best choice. It was meant for polishing rocks. I never changed my ways. I don't weigh anything for cleaning brass. Usually a couple hundred pistol or 100 or so large rifle. 45 ACP & 45 Colt together, but keep the others separate. Cover it all with Lyman easy pour media so drum is about 2/3 full, add a few strips of used fabric soft sheets and tumble for 3 hours. I use the media over and over. No matter it's price it's cheap. The sheets keep it clean. The brass comes out nice and shiny, and even more so if you add a few blobs of polish.
    I don't understand the advantage to the wet process. Sounds like a lot more work.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. bradam

bradam Member

I'll check for labels but my tumbler was made inthe 70's I think. I going to count the rpms of the barrel. I am not capable of counting the motor rpms. :eek: Perhaps when I was younger, but not now. I need a barrel rpm comparison.

5. bradam

bradam Member

So you do not need to rinse off the brass when finished?

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Nope! Just shake out the dry media and toss into the right bin.

7. bradam

bradam Member

media type

Have you ever used corn or walnut?

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have tried all the dry methods of tumbling. I like the method I now use, but there are many other ways, as you can see. I got the dryer sheet idea from this forum, and it was a big help in keeping the media clean and reusable.
    Same method for 4 pistol and 4 rifle calibers.
    I have no experience with popular vibratory or wet methods.

9. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I'm a wet tumbler only.

When dry tumbling, do you decap first, or tumble with the primer in the pocket?

10. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I size and decap at the same time. So no. I do not put dirty brass in my dies. I clean the pocket for pistol as I see the need, but always with rifle brass.
    Bayou, I was informed by your posts. Thanks! The wet process sounds like the ticket to sparkling brass inside and out.
    I am sticking to my dry method. No problems with 100K+ reloads. I am also told I am really, really set in my ways.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Hi, 25-5 -

You can never argue with good results!

12. Professor

Professor New Member

Being new to reloading, I had done a few thousand rounds (pistol) with a vibratory tumbler before getting a rotary (wet) tumbler. I could not believe how much BETTER the wet tumbler is. The inside of the case, the primer pocket, etc look NEW without any additrional effort. I even "re-tumbled" some brass I had already done (in a vibratory tumbler) and saw a vast improvement.
    I also do not like to get my resizing die dirty, and so I tumble before re-sizing. I use a universal decapping die to deprime the brass....then wet tumble...then dry....then lube and re-size.....then trim to length.

13. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Well, Professor-

If I might say, you no longer sound like a noobie reloader - you've got the procedure down pat.

I agree - I'm stuck on wet tumbling, too. I did 4 drums o f 30-06 this weekend. It comes out better than unfired brass off of the shelf.

Using the Armor-All in the place of Dawn keeps that bright, shiny newly tumbled finish without re-tarnishing. I then store up a lot of the brass for future use....after sizing and trimming, of course.

Too bad trimming isn't as much fun as tumbling......

14. bradam

bradam Member

Fun?

So if they made a trimmer that you could load a couple hundred cases in, turn on and walk away. Would that be as much fun? Just asking:D

15. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

That's it! A Million Dollar idea! Now if I could only figure out how to design that machine........

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

You could probably get a used one from any ammo manufacture company. It only takes $$$$$$$$.

17. bradam

bradam Member

designs

I have a quite of few million dollar ideas, just not any designs to match.
    :confused:

18. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I tumble my brass for 4 hours, in the regular speed tumbler......period.
    I have tried shorter times, but only after the 4 hour tumbling am I happy with the results. Shine, new looking casings with clean primer pockets. I would think that moving the steel faster would only "spill" it rather than "tumble" it over the brass. At any rate, I'm not about to change tumblers.

19. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

But does that clean the primer pocket, or do you do that seperately?

20. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Interesting. I also tumble for 4 hours per batch, and I'm using the Thumler's high-speed model B.