Need Test Input: Mobile One vs. Fluid Film

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Dillinger, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay so I have been doing some testing on Fluid Film and two other "protection" products in high density salt water for the past 5 weeks in my garage. Fluid Film is blowing the other two out of the water, but I haven't checked in the last 5 or 6 days, so I guess there is still room for error. :rolleyes:

I keep seeing everyone post about Mobile One Synthetic and how it has worked for them. My problem with synthetics is by design, they creep. Which makes me worried about using them in my carry piece if I am going to keep it loaded with ammo. Will it creep enough to cause a cartrdige primer not to be ignited? That will be part three of the test.

For the next step, I want to test Mobile One against what I presume to be the winner of the straight protection class, Fluid Film, but on something that has two metal moving parts to simulate slide to frame or cylinder to frame motion.

Scissors? Two metal blades coated with said product and dunked in the salt water tank? After a week or so, see if they open and close without problem or corrision if corrision starts to build up, how fast until they don't work?

Outside of that, I am at a loss without wandering the aisle of home depot in my MacGuyver Jacket looking for something that might apply.

Obviously it needs to be steel, because that is the basis for the test, so suggesting some kids cast metal train engine because it has moving parts isn't helping. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Serious Answers Only Please!!

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Cheap pruning shears from Harbor Freight or the like. They use cheap steal that rusts quickly, so to see which chemical protects the metal the best will be interesting. I liked the idea of the scissors though.

How about inexpensive, non sealed, bearings? Like those used in skateboad wheels. Soak em in the chems for a few days, immerse them in salt water for a week or two, then see which ones come out still working smoothly.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Steel strap hinge. Close, immerse, use a trigger scale or fishing scale to measure force to open hinge, and record force before immersing.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a look at inexpensive needle nose pliers. The pivot point specifically.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I use Mobil 1 as a lubricant, not as an exterior protectant.
    I usually use something like rem-oil or clp to protect non moving parts. I'm pretty confident Mob1 is gonna rust faster than the fluid film that adheres to the finish, especially immersed in saltwater.
    But if it sticks to the surfaces like a protectant should, what happens when you rub moving parts coated with it together, does it wear off, want to stick together, collect dirt and carbon or gum up the action under heavy use?

You put Mobil1 inside your cars motor to reduce friction, you don't rub it on its paint :)

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

These are the types of questions that I need asked and answered gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

My thought is this: What if we have one product that can do both?!

Protect against rust/corrosion AND still provide viable lubrication for the use of the weapon thru say a minimum of 100 rounds??

Skateboard wheels with bearings. Nice. That is an interesting idea.

This will be a test that will benefit everyone, I think, so I am interested in hearing what people think. What is going to be "proof-worthy" for you guys??

If Fluid Film is the best for protection against salt water (and it appears it is so far) and Mobile One is the best for lubrication??

So we as FTF members endorse one, the other, or both.

But what if??

I am willing to spend my money and time, but I need to know what is proof worthy and what is not from my fellow forum members....

JD

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's true. But I don't expect my engine to ignite a primer, so if it leaks all over my driveway, I get some Pert Shampoo and I get to scrubbing. Right?

We are talking about the weapon you are cleaning, lubing and relying on to protect you and yours!

Should we not, as FTF members, find out what works and what does not?!

If you guys want it dropped, I can drop it and leave it to the masses to figure out what works best.

I am asking for input and assistance without asking for money.

What say you FTF?!

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I like the hinge idea.

Since you mentioned you like the idea of doing both, I am sharing my "formula". I use Mobil 1 but I "spike" it with Tufoil. :D

Tufoil Engine Oil Treatment

Tufoil Engine Lubricant is Guinness Book of World Records certified as "The World's Most Efficient Lubricant." Slipperier than Teflon to make engines start easier, run cleaner, faster, and longer. Tufoil is a super-suspension of micro-miniature PTFE particles and soluble Molybdenum, permanently suspended in oil. All moving parts become coated with PTFE particles which reduce friction and wear and will not clog filters or oil openings. Safe for all gas and diesel engines.

9. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Do the experiment JD. I am really curious to see the results you have so far in just the protection phase of your experiment, and what is it that you put the Fluid Film up against? Just the Mobil 1?

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I could supply a few little low speed 120v motors to power your skateboard wheels. Not sure how you would quantify the results tho... I'll ponder.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

How about a cheap pad lock...have had a few rust into a solid block of metal in a seaside salty air environment...

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting. Could be most beneficial. Thanks freefall.

Interesting. And a fine example of what it would take in the aspect of a fine tuned machine that would need to function in the same aspect of metal on metal.

Thanks Jpyle - That adds a new dimension that is most interesting for this test.

*respect*

JD

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you want some bearings for test purposes I can help you out. I can also do before and after resistance tests if you want.

I will say I'm not aware of synthetic oils being better at repelling moisture. they may be but I've never heard it as a selling point. I've got another oil you might be interested in testing that is designed to adhere to metal. It's for in engines that don't get driven much but doesn't require constant changing. Let me know.

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

This is a great test thread idea. I wonder if we wouldn't be able to scrounge up a couple of uber cheap pistols to actually try this on?

As for testing media, rollerblade wheels would be a good one too. Or how about the motor out of a sawzall?

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell of an idea Boss! As for the "creep" you mention, I have not experienced that with the use of the Mobile 1 or my choice of synthetic, Amsoil, on any of my loaded rounds. I use the FF for surface exterior protectant/penetrate and the synthetic oil for all contact metal points of the rifle or handgun, especially, slide-frame rail lubrication. Granted, the Amsoil overlaps the FF in many spots of lubrication, but it hasn't hurt anything I can visually inspect so far, all firearms and ammo function and perform marvelously!

So come on let's do it, do it till you, we, are all satisfied! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2yCgO1vRT8&feature=related"]YouTube - Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) - B.T. Express - 1974[/ame]

Sorry, in all seriousness, the devil made me do it! :eek:

16. freefall

freefall New Member

It occurred to me last night, how about take some Jennings pistols away from some punks, use the various lubes and operate to failure. A sawzall would be perfect for working the slide without expending ammo. Or what does a POS like Jennings, Bryco etc go for?

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay so mugging street thugs for their cheap crap weapons aside ( I found that funny freefall ), anyone got any ideas here??

I posted the results of salt water immersion.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...luid-film-vs-xf7-vs-wd-40-a-38007/#post438792

Now the Fluid Film seems to work pretty well as a lubricant for my 1911's and I have treat the bolt of my AR with it without issue.

It's possible part 3 of the test, seeping into primers, is going to be handled by someone else.

So what would be a good test media for Mobile one versus Fluid Film in the ability to stave off rust AND still function in a metal on metal contact enviro??

The roller wheels struck me as a good idea, but short of cutting them open to see the damage once they don't roll anymore, we would not have a way to gauge progress. It would be "X" amount of days, cut them open and see what's up.....

Anyone?

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Have you thought of using Aero Kroil as a test lubricant?

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would be willing to expand the tests to include other products that the members actively USE and would like to see results.

What I NEED is a metal on metal test SUBJECT that you all feel would replicate a slide on frame or bolt on action motion.

JD

20. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

JD I don't know how easily you'd be able to attain them, but have you thought about some cheap watches or clocks with steel mechanisms? They need both lubrication and protection from rust, and it might be easier to quantify the effects of the elements on smaller parts rather than on large ones :confused:

Just a thought :eek: