Need suggestions for handgun security/access

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mrbirdguy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I am wondering what is a good security device for handgun but still quick axcess and theft resistant thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Biometric locked safe.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

There will always be a trade-off. You can't have instant access to your firearm, and have it locked up too.

I'm retired, so I carry all the time.

Just my simple opinion......

4. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I carry even when I'm at home. At night, it's in a MiniVault beside me, but the door is open.
    The only reason I ever shut the door is if I leave the house, because there's another loaded pistol in there all the time, too.
    I guess the best answer to the OP question is "the quickest access is 'on your person.' " :)

5. LudicrousSpeed

LudicrousSpeed New Member

How good are the biometrics???

I have been looking at small vaults for my new Walther to help keep it accessible, but inaccessible to my daughters and their friends.

Are they worth the money to get the fingerprint recognition vs a combination??

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

So far, all that I've seen work out pretty good.
    Touch, open versus turn dial, open
    Seems easier in darkness than the dial.

7. LudicrousSpeed

LudicrousSpeed New Member

The ones I saw had push buttons for the combination. I just wondered how reliable the print readers were??

8. GoBlue

GoBlue New Member

I was going to get a push button bedside safe, then thought better of it and decided to go with that Crossbreed Bedside Backup.

When milling around the house I always carry my gun in a shoulder holster. When I get up, the holster goes on and the gun goes in it anyway, so if I only need the safe to put my gun in at night that makes no sense.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have a GunVault Deluxe next to my bed. It has a 4-button combo (plus key if you want to bypass the buttons) and then slams open. When I go to bed I open it and pull the gun out. First thing in the morning I put it back in and close it.

The Deluxe plugs into the wall and has batteries so I am double protected from battery- or power-outages.

I have no little ones around, though.

10. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Neat idea.