Need suggestions for a quality headlamp.

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by buckhuntr, May 17, 2014.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Working around the homestead, there are times me and Wifey have to venture out at night to tend to animals, chase off varmints, etc., etc. We have headlamps that have a decent white light, but the red light sucks. Red is important, because that light doesn't disturb the poultry as much, and also reflects eyes better. So we're needing to find a lamp that has a good range of white brightness, doesn't eat batteries like teenagers eat M&Ms, and has a GOOD red light that you can actually see by.

Oh, and for a reasonable price.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Streamlight brand of lights. i have been using various Streamlight flashlights for several years now and highly recommend them. top quality products. not cheap, but not over the top in price either IMO.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us

3. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the link. I looked at their lights, but didn't see a headlamp with red light option. That's the biggest need we have. When we're catching birds in the pens at night, hands-free is essential, and white lights wake them up and make the task more difficult.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use the Energizer headlights they sell at Lowes. I also keep a high intensity light in my pocket in case I need a spotlight or a bright light up close. You can get colored lens caps for the high intensity lights. The Energizer headlamp will do for catching fowl in a pen. If the birds are out you will need the high intensity light to find the roost.

I have had a light like this for three years now. It has run for hundreds of hours with nothing more than a fresh battery. You can see the seller has an excellent reputation. 99% satisfied customers with over 325,000 sales. Not many vendors can boast such a reputation.

Most of the high intensity lights have a 1" battery tube so they can be mounted on a shotgun. I don't use lights with a rechargable battery on my guns. The batteries don't get run down often enough so they fail. I get a light with CR123 batteries to mount on a gun. I only use the light mounted on the gun to shoot. It only stays on for a minute or two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000LM-Ultr...3993059?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4864839fe3

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. hmh

hmh New Member

Black diamond storm I use a headlamp at work. Water proof and a big plus a lock out.

6. S-101hat

S-101hat New Member

Look At the Bushnell headlight at Walmart i have one of the cap lights that's fairly bright at 65 lumen with red led for about 12 dollars and a 220 lumen headlamp for 20 with red led

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member