NEED SUGGESTIONS! AR upper build.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Broke124, May 15, 2012.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I'm starting to gather some things to build my first upper in .300 BLK. The list so far is as follows:

BOUGHT-
    Noveske 14.5" .300 blk barrel.
    Noveske chainsaw upper receiver

LOOKING AT BUYING:
    BCM bcg
    Daniel Defense omega x 9.0 rail
    DD fixed sight set
    Trijicon ACOG of some sort

...just really looking for suggestions on rails that are around 10" or so and anything else you guys think I might need...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Noveske barrel eh? ACOG? Don't sound so Broke to me.....just sayin' :p

What kind of gas block are you going with?
    Is it a middy or carbine gas system?

3. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

carbine system. I was told that's the only way to run the blackout round. And a low pro gas block.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

ok, last 2 questions.......are planning on running it supressed? do you want a quad rail or a lighter handguard setup?

5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Noveske NSR rail

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Love all those top notch brand parts u putting! Noveske, DD & BCM.. yummy!

7. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Okay I got a new phone and couldn't get logged back in, so long story short, this is my new profile broke again. Lol. To answer your question, no I'm not running it suppressed and I want a quad rail like the DD omega x

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

correction.......ask my friend what kind of rail he bought...

I've only personally handled and help install a DD 12" Omega rail, and its AMAZINGLY lite for a quad rail and i like the rectangular profile. very easy to grip. (i wear xlarge or large gloves) If you were to go with a Quad I'd recommend it. Its only a couple ounces heavier than the Samson!

Only thing is its expensive....but looking at your parts list your must be Broke-Again 24/7/365 :p

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I was only asking about the suppressor to see if you would be considering an adjustable gas block or switchblock for suppressor use. Go with a low profile gas block and free float a rail over it.

10. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

That's funny. So why not recommend the Samson? You didn't like it?

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

You said you wanted a quad rail.

The Samson is a Free Floated handguard with modular rail section attachments. I highly recommend them, but not what you wanted...right?

here's pic of the Rainer Arms 12" FF handguard made by Samson

[​IMG]

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you want the lightest FF handguard, I can also recommend the Midwest SS gen 2. Its got a smaller overall diameter than the Samson or Rainer arms units but it is also like 1 oz lighter. I also light that it comes with a bipod stud. Just help my friend install a 15" Midwest on his 20" precision type upper. Nicely made, no special barrel nut meeded (in fact it comes with a standard barrel nut) comes with mutliple rail sections and a qd sling mount section. It bolted in nice and tight, and was nicely finished. Great deal for $190

And Troy's alpha rails are very similar and about the same price point too!

On all these lightweight handguards, there's not much material to keep barrel heat away from your support hand, but conversely they will help your barrel cool down faster.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

interesting.....wonder how much they are gonna price them at....

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I like that setup. How much for the rail?

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

$269 13.5" Rainier Arms

They've been out for some time now. I was about to purchase one but bought a Trijicon RMR for my M&P9 instead.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Its a 12" setup about $175 iirc. comes with qd sling mount, and s couple of rail sections,

Samson has another version that's just cosmetically different just a tad heavier....

Attached Files:

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

$175ish 12" for the Rainier Arms version made by Samson. I had the 11" it was a great rail.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Are melting your RMR? I love red dots!

Interesting concept on the noveske/vltor rail....wonder how I'd have to mount my torches, peq laser, ir flashlight, green laser target designation, thermal ....
    I mean my flashlight on it. Do you know if the mount is proprietary or do you need an adapter for more standard 1913 type mounts?

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

They have a proprietary mounting system.

Yes the RMR is being mounted on a milled slide. Im waiting on Bowie Tac to email me back and it'll go out this week or the last week of the month.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Did you go with the Dual illuminated? what reticle?

........hand gun pron please.... lots of it....plzzzz

Don't think I like the proprietary mounting system thingy...sounds expensive and very limiting.......