Need some weight gain advice..!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, May 1, 2013.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In the past two years , I,ve lost some thirty pounds of muscle mass and I want it back..! I do know many things , but do not know everything . I,m willing to give it time , lets say even two years , I,m patient.!

I feel this in my bones , I,m am ready and my body is telling me just that.! I am feeling really good and have achieved a mental strength that even shocks me..?

My goal is simple , I just want to be as close to the man I was before all this crap started and know my self extremely well.! To be the prettiest 60+ year old on this here planet , dats right , HOO. Yaul..!

All advice is welcome...and a big thanks and lets all make the best dango there be..! A truly epic event..! :D

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Milkshakes and nuts. Seriously. Lotta protein, lot of fat. Add a banana for carbs.

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have a thread I started about the same thing a few months ago. It's called "workout diets" and has a lot of good advice in it. As soon as I get home, I'll post a link as I am on the app right now and have no idea how to do it from here

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

In the second half of our lives, the only way to build muscle is muscle resistance training. I'd recommend working heavily on your lower body, the muscle groups are larger and build more quickly and as we age mobility and balance become more and more important. Upper body mass is harder to build and tougher to do continuously with any spinal challenges. Work on toning your upper musculature, rather than bulking it.

That's my $.02.

5. dango

Well my man , you forgot the most important part , the recreational hallucinations..! ..? :confused:

6. dango

Well , I may need a pinch of work on my cognitive skills..! Yeap , there it is ,
    (Workout Diets)....!

Dauh ,, ...! ..? :confused: and thanks, Eeeeek..! :eek:

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Without knowing more about your situation, general health, or why you lost this weight it's hard to give advice. When I was in my early 30's I weighed about 130 lbs., and through a combination of heavy lifting and nutrition I build myself up to 185 lbs -- went from a 36" chest to a 42" chest with a 30' waist. (Now I still weigh about 185, but with a 34" waist, so things have shifted. I'm also looking back to get back into shape.)

I was what is called a hard gainer, meaning it was difficult for me to put on mass. Although I had worked with weights before, it was only when I changed my routine to heavy lifting that I was able to gain. By heaving lifting I mean doing fewer reps but heavier weights. Example: On the bench press I would do 5 sets of 3-5 reps of the max weight I could do. I would start out with 3 reps, then when I was able to do 5-6 reps at that weight I'd add weight to where I could only do 3 again. Some times I'd put on the max weight I could do for one; take off 5 lbs or so and do two; take off another five pounds and do 3; then go back up the ladder. Proper time for the mucles to rebuild is essential when heavy lifting. I would work out for 1 1/2 hour every other day, emphazing different muscle groups each time. For instance, on Monday I would work shoulders, chest, and triceps; on Wensday I would work biceps and upper back; Friday would be legs and lower back. Include excercises that work major mucles groups, such as squats, clean and jerk, etc.

Now, when I was doing that I was in my mid-30's to mid-40's. I'm now 58, trying to re-tone, and I don't think my body could handle the intensity of the workouts I used to do -- the knees especially. But, in order to gain mass, you need to lift the max amount that your body can handle safely.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. dango

In general , my health was exceptional all of my life.! A health nut , martial artist
    And just had a bad skiing accident with some spinal ..well , kind a extensive.
    Surgeries in the past 18months or so . The weight lost due to lack of mobility
    Fora very long time . Atrophy almost , but have been walking through the mountain roads , up to over fifty miles a week and starting next week , cut the miles and use a weighted fanny pack..!

All the really painful stuff is behind me , the stretching , lite toning , I,m ready to move on , quit pain meds . Muscle relaxers , all the stuff I don,t want to dull my senses..! Yeah , it hurts , but I have got to feel what's what as not to hurt myself in training..!

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

With a spinal injury, I would consult with a doctor before doing extensive weight training. I would do as much weight training as you can safely do; it releases endorphins and encourages the body's production of testosterone. You mention martial arts -- do you do tai chi? I would suggest that as a way of rehibilation.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

11. dango

Good advice and thanks..! I have talked to all people involved , and if most of them were mechanics , I,d fire them..! They categorize me as a typical , 60+
    But there is nothing normal about me nor typical..! Not special , not by any means better than anybody else , but do have a gift of vision and a methodical
    , practical , approach to everything I do..! Was extremely active up until the first surgery wich didn,t go well , But I have leaned different ways to accomplish many things..! Had to learn many things all over again , like an infant..!
    Eeeeek..! Was great test of patients and am well pleased with my new ways to do old things , love the challenge and am really positive about everything..!

Only one of the doctors agrees with me and understands me to a point..! The others , well , they would not have done t he things I desire in the first place so they can,t even guess what I am capable of...! For real..! Oh yeah and I,ve made amazing improvements , dats right...! :)

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Here is the thread Shag was talking about......

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/workout-diets-83462/

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It sounds as if you certainly have the attitude and the will to keep improving. Congrats on not giving in to "expert" opinions.

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

dango - Bee happy, eat your honey!;)

15. dango

Well , there in lies a problem..! The wife was taken in by the scare tactics these so called doctors were preaching..! She is one who would see me in that rocker ,
    ithat ain,t going to happen.! She has seen me go through some scary things and it broke her.!
    She can,t see me do this , she left me a week and a half ago . My mother once told me some wise things.! If you love something , let it go freely and if it returns , well , you know..!

My choices are well thought out and with the advise of the one doctor I trust , I,m doing what needs to be done..! I will not control anybody but me , nor will she control me..! She,s just scared and time will tell , I,m ok with this and it is the right thing it,s what I need to do .! My spirit soars and this is right..! :)

16. dango

Ok then , bitter sweet and a very bad joke..! :p Nobody caught that , good..! :D

Since that post , I have surrounded myself with all things I love and make me Dango..! Altimeter , love it , pistols , love them , some 45/70,s , sensual and
    Always puts a smile on..! :D

I think some good ole fashion rasing or perhaps insults are appropriate.! That stuff is always fun ., ! Like any chess player , I like the sheer whit of it all..!
    Maybe I am truly insane , but it just feels so right..! :D HOO Yaul..! Eeek.!

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with C3. Go nuts with peanut butter. Try some shakes (even weight loss shakes.) And a multivitamin.

18. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

19. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I know, Dango. I had major heart surgery a little over a year ago, and while I've regained a good bit of upper body strength back (still nowhere near pre op), my legs are still extremely weak.
    He'll, Heck, I thought I'd for Hiking in the mountains by now.
    Being on my feet for almost twelve hours at work is about all I can take.

20. dango

Twelve hours.., ! Don,t do that much longer., it will kill your spirit , then you..!
    I busted my butt for many years to become independent so,s I could do the things that make life , life..! It wasn't easy and very stressful at times , but also , I could back off when the need arose..! Kept me happy..! :)

What good is gold and diamonds to the dead..? :confused: