Need some pointers on which sks to buy

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Beastazz, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Hello I would like to purchase an SKS or rifle of that sort, but this will be my first semi-auto rifle besides my 10/22. What should I look for and what should I stay away from. What would be a good SKS price range.

2. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You should look for an AK-47 if you're going commie gun. They'll do everything the SKS will plus you have the most prevalent, reliable and rugged rifle on the face of the planet.

I like the SKS, but if you are only getting one, make it an AK

3. orangello

orangello New Member

See, and i prefer my SKS to the AK-type rifles i have tried; the best answer might be to see if you can try a buddy's SKS and/or AK-type rifle to see which you prefer. My Chinese/Norinco SKS is a bit heavier than the WASR10 my buddy has, but the SKS seems to be a little bit tighter, accuracy-wise. I replaced my fixed mag with removable mags, but i kept the original-to-me stock & mag & such.

If you want a scope, many of the WASR's come with a rail on the side for easy scope mounting; it's a bit more trouble on the SKS's.

4. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

I would go AK

you can still get some good prices on them
    they dont have a floating firing pin like the sks
    bigger and easier to get mags really cheap
    you don't have to clean if you don't want to lol
    I have both 3 sks's and 2 ak-47s
    if you want to go cheap ak then go for waser but then there is a lot to check before you buy it

5. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Excuse my ignorance... But what calibers does the AK come in?

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

My SKS preference is the Russian.

7. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Also what is a good price range for the SKS and AK. There is one at a local gun shop that is in pretty good condition in my opinion but he is asking $275. There is also a local gun shop coming up on the 20th. Should I just wait and see or are those SKS's all run down at the gun show.

8. chevyforlife1972nova

ok? you gota do alittle effort

what are you looking to spend?
    Do you have any tools or handy with them?
    what kind of rifle is the im assuming sks at the gun shop if its a AK for 275 buy it now!
    I believe all sks's were 7.62x39
    AK's come in alot of calibers most are 7.62x39
    There are 5.56,5.45,308,7.62x54r

9. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

I was told you don't need to spend more than $200 on an SKS. Yes I do have tools being that my grandfather is a gunsmith, but I have never handled an SKS. The one at the shop was a Chinese SKS I believe. It was definitely an SKS but I'm not sure on the model.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

7.62 x 39...the SKS is the prototype of the AK-47 so they shoot the same caliber ammo...

11. chevyforlife1972nova

me personally

I have never payed over 120 for a sks but those days are gone. Everyone is buying sks's becuase they cant afford the AK jump in price. There usta be create and creates of sks at gun shows now not so much under like 220 you got a good deal chrome lined barrel is a plus. Being your age I would wait and save to buy something nice when your allowed

12. chevyforlife1972nova

huh?

I don't believe that is correct

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

14. chevyforlife1972nova

the sks and AK were being created at like the same time all the research I have done they were not one before the other but 2 separate designers competing to get there weapon adopted by the military

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I may be wrong but I believe the SKS pre-dates the AK by about 6-7 years, 1949 versus 1956.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Thanks for the SKS link. Interesting.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

The "floating" firing pin thing on the SKS is only a danger if you don't keep it clean, but there are spring-equipped replacements out there for about $50. Regarding magazine size, i use the 20 round mags, but there are wind-up drums for SKS's if that is your thing.

18. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

personally I would go with an AK, I don't like the trigger assembly on the sks, if the safety bar get bent or something happens that messes with that bar it's a pain in the ***. You could always get a saiga they are russian and come in everything from .410 to .308

19. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I would not buy an SKS, mainly because it does not have a detachable mag...I know that some have been modified to take the AK mag, but I would still pick an AK47, AR15, or MINI14 over an SKS. I bought one back in the 90's for $120, it was a NIB Norinco and it worked good, but it was not up to the same standards as the other rifles I mentioned, and the fact that it did not have a detachable mag was a drag. (IMHO)

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The SKS was intended to have a 10 shot fixed magazine. Some fixed and detachable higher capacity mags work, many do not. The SKS is a rugged, accurate carbine with in its limitations. If you choose to go that route, I would look for a Russian model first. They are pricier but reputed to be the best of the breed. The Chinese Norincos are not military rifles, but commercial copies made for the US market. I have a Norinco that has always worked well. The Albanian models are cool variants that difer from the others, but were imported in much smaller numbers and are probably the most expensive. I would but the Yugos well down the list as they do not have chrome bores and many have corroded bores and gas pistons. They look cool, but many have issues that are not easily corrected as parts are not available. The Yugos were actually issued to line troops and have character.

The AK is a different breed. Reliable, high capacity, but less accurate (generally). The AK47/AKM is 7.62 X 39 just like the SKS. The AK 74 is 5.45 X 39. There are other rifles similar to the AK in other calibers (5.56 X 45, .308, 7.62 X 54R), but these are not really AKs.

I do not see much similarity between the AK and SKS. Perhaps in the gas piston arrangement, but the bolt/carrier is VERY different. To say Sgt. Kalashnikov took any ideas from the SKS is a stretch. Simonov and Kalashnikov likely worked independetly of one another in the development of the rifles.

IMHO to call the Kalashnikov rifles we have in the US by the name AK-47 is a misnomer. An AK-47 is a milled receiver, select fire machine gun. The typical US legal AK is more of a semi-auto variant of an AKM with its stamped receiver and slant brake.