Need Some Insights and Advice on Gun

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by hannibal68853, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hannibal68853

hannibal68853 New Member

Hey guys,

I need some help deciding on a gun.

I have narrowed the search down to two guns

Kimber Custom II
    Springfield "Loaded"
    Both in Stainless Steel

I would love to know pros and cons of both. Is one more reliable, more feature rich, etc.

I have heard of Kimbers having a rust problem, any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help!!

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Get the Springfield. Kimbers tend to rust, regardless of how well you take care of them.....

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No comparison, get the kimber! :cool:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

...and there you have it. Two posts, two different opinions. Both are excellent pistols. Buy the one that floats your boat. :D

5. hannibal68853

hannibal68853 New Member

Is one outfitted with more features than the other?

6. CA357

Personally, I've owned Springfields and no Kimbers. both have their followings. Kimbers are supposed to be excellent, although there seems to be some rust issues recently. I really don't have any personal experience with them.

Just check the stats on the websites for features, that will tell you the story. Then, as I said before, buy the one that you like.

BTW, do you have much firearm experience? Will this be your first handgun or your first 1911?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I love my Kimber Custom II. not had any issues with at all. very accurate and tight fit. However the Springfield is an ecxellent gun as well. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one.

8. CA357

My first 1911 was a Springfield MilSpec. I sent it to Springfield Custom and had a trigger job done and the barrel throated and the chamber polished and an internal deburring and polishing done. Then I sent it to Novak's and had fiber optic sights installed. It was an excellent and dependable pistol.

My next 1911 was a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. It was an outstanding pistol; well made, almost too tight and dependable and accurate.

My next 1911 was a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail or CBOB. Dan Wesson uses a bunch of Ed Brown parts and it was also a quality pistol. Once again, tight, dependable and accurate. It's the only one that I really miss.

My current 1911 is a 1927 Sistema Colt manufactured in 1959. I picked it up for around $350. and then spent around $900. having it customized to my liking. It's essentially a new pistol with a fifty year old frame and slide.
    It is by far my favorite 1911, probably because it's essentially a custom gun that was built to my specifications.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Kimber or Springfield. However, if you're in the $1,000. or so price range, take a look at a Dan Wesson.

And keep us informed. ;)

9. CA357

Here's a pic of the Sistema:
    [​IMG]

10. CA357

After you get your 1911, you'll eventually find out what you really like and want and what you don't care for and don't need. You'll also figure out some stuff that may even annoy you.

Semi custom guns like the Wilsons, Baers and Browns etc. represent a bunch of custom touches. But as you gain experience with your own 1911, you will discern what you care about. Eventually, you may want to have a pistol built to your specifications, or have a pistol modified to suit you. :cool:

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned both and both are fine 1911s. With all else being equal I would choose the Springer simply because it does not have the firing pin block safety. I can't remember this second whether the Kimber FPB operates off the trigger or the grip safety - but in either event it's "linkage" that adds nothing to the platform.

I prefer simplicity and guns without the FPB have less moving parts and are easier to tinker with and tune. The Springer will have a "lock" but it's located in the mainspring housing and is barely noticeable. As I generally change out the MSH anyway, it's a moot point for me.

Many folks use the term "series 70" for guns that don't have an FPB and "series 80" for guns that do have one. This isn't technically accurate as these are Colt specific terms but they tend to be used generically for 1911s. If you do some research, you'll see very quickly that series 70 guns are more "desired" than series 80...

12. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

The Kimber firing pin safety is actualy an earlier version prior Colts series 80 FPS, Colt changed the original design enough to patent their own version. Kimber just went with the original old design, not sure what year it was invented, but I hear it's been around a while.

I agree that simpler is better, I had to replace a few parts on my series 80 Colts and didn't like the idea of lots of little extra parts to wear out, break and fail.

However I would go with the Kimber, I have been so overwhelmingly impressed with the Kimbers my shooting buddies have and like the fact that they are made in the U.S. vs Springers being Brazilian, that Kimber would be my first choice, but I do think the Springer "loaded" looks like a good gun too.

13. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

Springfield

The Srpingfield "Loaded" is USA made. Their entry level 1911's come from Brazil. It does pay to ask about country of origin. It seems like all the majors have some of their line come from off shore.

I own a SA 1911 Loaded in 9mm. I really love the gun. It is reliable and dead nuts accurate. I like the adjustable sight but, at my age, would prefer to have some night sight dots in it.

That said Kimber makes a fine pistol too. Only negatives have been around the rust problem of late.

I do not think you will be unhappy with either. Go with you gut. :D

If you are new to shooting, join the NRA when you buy the pistol. You get a discount and the range earns a commission and the NRA gets one more voice to fight fascism.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sorry to disagree with you but all Springer frames & slides are forged by IMBEL in Brazil. Whether "Brazil" is stamped on your gun is dependent on whether 50% of the assembly work is done in the US or Brazil. I have a Mil-Spec with an NM serial number and it does not say "Brazil" anywhere on the gun - but it still began life in Brazil. A good link for Springer info:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about where a gun is made. I personally could care less where it was made as long as it performs as advertised and gives me good value for MY $$$.

Do y'all buy sub-standard and overpriced Detroit built vehicles just to be patriotic? Is subsidizing bloated and corrupt unions the American thing to do?

If more American companies want my business, build quality products at competitive prices. And really, in todays global conglomerate economy, is any major company really wholly American?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

NiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttHHHHAAAAAWWWWKKKKKKKKKK!

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Left myself wide open on that one didn't I?

However Mr Moderator, now that we know for absolute surety that a Nighthawk is substandard to an HK - perhaps you'll not be so bold as to interject your baseless opinions...

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Probably not going to happen...........:cool:

NNNIIIGGGHHHTTTHHHAAAWWWKKK!!!

Your jealousy is dripping into a puddle on the floor near your computer tower. :D

18. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Nighthawk = Over compensation of the highest degree........:D

19. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

I don't buy "sub standard, over priced" Detroit vehicles, I buy high quality, fair priced U.S. made vehicles.

Springfield's higher end guns are assembled in the U.S. from Brazillian (see anti-American govt.) made parts buy U.S. assemblers and 'smiths who do a much better job of fit and finish than the Brazillian laborer/assemblers on the lower end models.

Kimber's rust problem was a short lived issue several years ago, but everytime someone new gets an old stock or used Kimber it becomes a new issue all over again.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009