Need some help!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bigpoppa, May 13, 2009.

1. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

What's up everyone,
    I am new to the forum, but have some experience with handguns, and a ton of experience with shotguns, and rifles (hunting). I've been getting very interested in handguns lately, and have come to the conclusion that I am interested in purchasing a 45 chambered acp. I've been looking around on sites and have really narrowed it down to three pistols that are somewhat in my price range (no more than 650-700$$$$).

If you guys/experts could give me some opinions on the following semi-autos it would be much (I really mean it) appreciated:

I am interested in a 1911 frame, because lets face it, it is at the top of the ladder in my opinion. I've been focusing on the Taurus 1911 and noticed it really comes in 3 styles:

-Duo-tone frame which runs about 600-700, and looks decent.
    -Blued- is cheap and has a nice dark look to it (will it show wear a lot more and rust?)
    -Stainless- looks great, but is the most expensive usually running from 650-750.

Other pistols I have been interesed in have been the Springfield XD and FNP 45. Both of these pistols seem pretty similar to me in style and price.

Any other suggestions for pistols in a decent price range would be awesome!

If you guys could help me out I would absolutely appreciate it, because one of these pistols could help save mine or someone elses's life, so I need some great ideas/opinions.

Thanks so much,
    Biggie

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome to the crew Biggie.

I'm just new to the 1911s also so have no great knowledge to impart. But I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WELCOME bigpoppa, glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

Join the NRA FREE!! (Yep, FREE)

NRA - Join the NRA - Bonus Offer

Stick with the 1911. If you don't you're just pi$in' money away and delaying the inevitable. Why? Because you have stated your preference for the 45 ACP and the 1911 is the platform for the 45.

Should you go and play in 'tupperware land' you will return to the 1911 pattern pistol sooner or later.

Before I will give you a recommendation I need more data.

What is the purpose of the purchase? carry, range lizard, HD, comp shooting.........

Where do you live? Not your address but if you're like me, South Florida and a daily carry guy, SS is the only option!

More data.............[​IMG]

4. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

Right now I live in Georgia, but I might be making the move to California here in the next two months, so I think the Taurus might be the way to go. I've heard good and bad about these. Anyone else suggest a different type of 1911 for a great price? I will be using this gun for a "keep around the house" gun, and it if comes to it, and I get my concealed license, I might take this with me in the truck. I will also take it out back and shoot targets.

Thanks for the help,
    Big

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Moving to Kali????

* shaking head *

You going to smuggle your gun in behind enemy lines? [​IMG]

6. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

Hi all,

Been lurking for awhile - following this thread as I am looking at my next pistol to be 45 ACP. I have a Bersa 380 and an XDM9 so far.

Watching and learning!!!

GHOST

7. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

Eh...yea. I could just license it when I get there. California is a hassle, but if it is necessary I gotta follow the rules. This Taurus is looking pretty good, I just don't know if I should drop the extra money for the stainless.:confused: Or go with something else, or go with the blued, black, or two tone!

8. kcolg

kcolg New Member

How much does a Colt .45 runs for in the States this days?

9. Slawth

Slawth New Member

The Taurus is a good pistol for the money. I personally like the look of the PT1911 in blued finish but that is entirely opinion and not based on function in any way. It is really a personal decision for you- Which one do you like? Are you willing to pay more for the stainless for the "look" or will it meet your performance criteria better? I guaranty they shoot the same.:cool: canebrake was pointing out that he lives in a humid and salt air climate and carries his Colt daily so stainless suits this environment better...(in case you missed that above)

I would also personally move to NV, and commute across the border- no matter how long the drive:p

10. Bighead

Bighead New Member

The blue steel model will serve you fine, and if you maintain it properly I wouldn't be concerned about rust. The blue finish will wear, but I personally think holster wear adds a little character.

The XD line of pistols is also excellent and would serve you well, but if you're attracted the 1911 platform I say go ahead and get one.

Other 1911 pistols you might consider would be the Springfield Armory's GI & MilSpec models (which don't have the features of the Taurus) and the entry level Kimber Custom II. My choice would be the Kimber Custom II, retails for about $699 at my local store

11. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!:cool: So, I've been looking at the Taurus's, and I am thinking I might go that route. I've been reading the blue finish isn't exactly the best straight from the factory. So, maybe stainless would be the way to go, so it would be less maintaince (ie. rust, chipping of finish).

I've been checking out Buds gun shop and found alumminum and steel frames. Would you guys go with an ALR?

Here are some links:

ALR= Taurus 1911-AL 45ACP 8RD ALUM for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $596.00

Blued= Taurus 1911 45ACP 8RD Blued for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $540.00

SS= Taurus 1911SS 45ACP Stainless 8 RD for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $635.00

And I also found a duo-tone=http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/47919

Would there be great advantages with a duo-tone?

Once again, thanks so much guys,
    Biggie:eek:

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

If your serious about the move to California you may want to check the laws for bringing a handgun into the state. CA has a list of handguns they approve and the Tarsus is not approved. The link below is the approved list of HGs for Calif.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

I know an individual moving into CA must register any HGs they own, I'm not sure if those guns must be on the approved list. Here is a link to the CA DOJ site.

Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

13. propex

propex New Member

Good idea Jo, I thinking of that but you beat me to the draw with better information :eek:

14. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

I've been looking at para ordnance, and they are looking great. Anyone have opinons? I've noticed a lot of them are legal in California. Anyone know where I can find some great prices?
    Thanks,
    Big:D

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Should I answer this question or are you going to change your mind again? I'm just sayin'. [​IMG]

Google shopping section: Type in P-A-R-A_O-R-D-A-N-C-E and hit enter.

16. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

:confused:Just looking for some help man. Had to change my mind because the Taurus 1911 isn't on the approved CA list.

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I ended up buying a Smith & Wesson 1911. I found S&W had the most choices on the CA list. A little more money, but it was available, and approved. It should be arriving at the FFLs shop today.:D

Another thing for you to keep in mind is that the guns on the CA list are approved for a specific time period. After they expire the manufacturer has to have the gun tested and approved all over again. That's why some companies, like Kimber, just don't bother. So guns that are approved now may not be approved when you decide to move here. If they were on the approved list when you bought it would you be allowed to keep it when you move here? I don’t know. I tried to read the new resident law, but could not figure out the answer. :confused:

There is litigation to try to stop this BS extortion list, but for now I have to play this game.

18. prolson

prolson New Member

Taurus bogus warranty

My barrel cracked on my Snub 38 after I used less than 50 rounds. Taurus has a lifetime warranty. They recieved mine at the (factory) in Florida in January. I've called over a dozen times and get the same answer. We are sending it now! When I call back, I get another excuse, and they will send it as soon as a shipment arrives from Brazil, or whatever. Here we are coming up on June. Cabela's in Hammond, Indiana sent it out for me ($30), but now say it's out of their hands! Any advise ( other than don't ever buy a Taurus ).

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

prolson, go here and post your issue. Scrapper is our resident Taurus expert. See if he can assist you.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/why-taurus-hate-10838/index2.html#post70530