Need some help with 1858 Remington Army

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by gr8oldguy, Sep 25, 2013.

1. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a new steel frame Pietta 1858. I have never fired it. The recommended load for this revolver in the Pietta manual is 12-15 gr black powder or a substitute. Right now I have a pound of American Pioneer. Here's my question. Everything I've read indicates that when loading a bp revolver, there should be no voids in the chamber. I interpret that as a compressed load. The recommended load from Pietta will not fill the cylinder chamber up enough, even with a wonder wad, to create a compressed load. The bullet rammer will only push a bullet deep enough to be almost flush with the cylinder. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Use more powder; they hedge on the too "safe" side in their recommended loads. I have a Pietta 1858, steel frame also; I usually load 20-25 grains. I cheat by using a empty .38 special cartridge case to eyeball my load; I don't pack it full though. I shoot Pyrodex P.

If you don't want to use more powder, some people use some other powders to fill the void; cream of wheat is one that comes to mind.

edit* If you have a cool leather holster for the 1858, DON'T leave the revolver in it when not in use. It will ruin the finish on the revolver.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Load is way too light. Depending on bullet/ wad, 22-30 gr would be more appropriate.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I wouldn't recommend anything over 35 grains. The above suggestions are dead on.
    Also recommend you top off your loaded cylinder with grease, Crisco is fine. This prevents a chain fire which is very very bad news.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I use the "wonder wads" under the lead, instead of the Crisco on top.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I don't use wads at all in mine, not that I would recommend the practice. I know a few guys that use both.

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

I believe using a ball larger than the cylinder prevents chain fires. Be sure your shaving off a nice ring of lead. Using the correct size cap is another.
    I load powder, wad, (or lube pill) then ball.
    How to make yer own lube pills. http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php?topic=390.0

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Is it the 36 Cal??

9. orangello

orangello New Member

:eek: OH CRAP! I assumed he had the .44 like mine. If he has the 36, he will want to IGNORE my recommendation on loads, since they were for the 44.

edit* I think he does have the .44 model like mine, so my load recommendation should be fine. The manual only recommends 9-12 grains for the .36 model, the "12-15" (that he mentioned) is their suggestion for the .44 model.

http://www.pietta.us/pdf/Manuale_Avancarica_ENG.pdf

10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

My bad, it's a .44. I guess I took it for granted that all 1858 Armys were .44.

11. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

My 1858 is a Uberti, but I doubt there is much difference. Can you get 30 gr FFFG into the cylinder. I use 30 gr, and a wonderwad, and the pistol seats up good, with room for grease. I have also used the 30 gr black powder substitute pellets, and have not had problems with my pistol for years. I can even get by without carrying a powder flask and measure. It is not traditional to use anything other than black, but some days you just have to say, "What the F***" Have fun with your new toy.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use 30 grains in mine. But I also have an 1851 with a brass frame. The brass frames should not go over 20. I top off my brass frame with cream of wheat as a filler. I use Crisco over both.

13. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Unless you use a tight ball like a .454 or better, your wonder wad might fail you. Grease also keeps the fowling softer. I sometimes have to wonder about wonder wads. I can't help but think that when you ram the round ball home over the load, that you might be squeezing the lube into the powder and fouling the powder, and lining the barrel with un-burned powder fouling between shots

I also like to use SPG lube instead of grease anymore. Lot easier to clean

14. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I think that all Remington 1858 New Armies are .44. The .36 are Navy models and I think have a different date on them. Had one of those too, all the punch of a .38spec. Shot one at boiler plate, flattened the round ball and deeply punched in the iron plate.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I didn't see where anybody addressed the danger of too lite a powder load. You could get a "squib" situation with a projectile stuck in/blocking the barrel for the following projectiles. You don't want that projectile disfunction, can be destructive to the firearm and user.

It's also hell on your score if you are trying to compete with a buddy.

16. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I load my steel framed one with 50 gr & a ball, & 45 with a conical. It can fire cowboy loads through a conversion cylinder all day long. Also, metallurgy is far superior to the original.

17. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Finally shot my Remington Army!

Finally got to shoot my 1858 Army about an hour ago. Lot's of smoke, fire and just plain fun. I don't think the guy shooting next to me thought it was too much fun. He was shooting too much anyway. So here's my target after 5 or 6 practice rounds and working the kinks out of my reloading process. The target was at 25ft. I brought several empty brass casings and thought the .357 gave me the best feeling charge. I guess I was shooting about a 28 gr charge using American Pioneer 3f. Thanks for all your help. I think I'll be shooting this bad boy on a regular basis.

Attached Files:

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice shooting!

Some people don't think it is cool, and it isn't necessary, but I prefer to load the cylinder separate from the frame in a little press. My nephew just uses the on-pistol loading lever/ram and likes it that way. Of course, he once managed to load two lead balls in two chambers before realizing his goof. I like to set out my powder in empty .38special cases and set out the wads and lead balls and all, so I won't double up or skip anything.

19. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I didn't have anything fancy with me today. My "flask" was a .97 cents ketchup dispenser I bought from Walmart. Works just fine. I did use wonder wads, not sure if they are necessary, but they did make reloading the cylinder easier. i topped the loaded chamber off with a nice helping of Crisco. I've been thinking about getting a loading tool. The ramrod seemed very strong, but I only loaded a few rounds with it today. I'm not sure how it will hold up in the long run. I do like your approach, though, careful and controlled. Just like I reload my centerfire cartridges.