Need some help on a trade PLEASE!!!! Opinions welcomed.....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by eborden1122, Jan 26, 2016.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a guy offering me an AR 15 for my S&W 1911 E-Series pistol that I bought new for $1300. He is offering an AR in a 5.56 caliber with a White Oak upper, Troy rail, Red Jacket Lower, ACS Stock and 5 mags. I'm somewhat new to AR's. Is what he built any good? Does it compare to my 1911 as it is decked out for a pistol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice. Ed

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My first reaction is no.

I have not had a second reaction, yet.

Anti Psychotic likes this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i'd have to say no as well. your pistol is used and probably not still worth $1300, but still worth probably more than what he's put into that AR. in straight up trade, I wouldn't make the trade. there would have to be some money from his side for me to make the trade.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If White Oak actually built the upper then I'd consider it. What configuration is the upper in? Is it a rifle length barrel and gas system? Floated barrel? Which one of their barrels, because they use some Wilson match blanks which are good, and the also use some premium barrels for their blanks, like Douglas and Shillen. I've seen a White Oak built Service rifle take first place in a fleet match and earn the shooter a Secretary of the Navy M1Garand, along with completing the final leg points to earn that shooter his Distinguished Marksmanship badge. Now the guy behind the butt plate had a lot to do with it too. But, White Oak makes some competition level stuff.

Don't know if what is being offered is on that level though.

5. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I don't think I'd do the trade man. Some pictures could help but I haven't heard anything good about red jacket firearms.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Id keep the pistol and buy an AR.

7. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

exactly! or maybe even build one.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

You can do it any way you wish to, and if both of you are happy, then it is a good trade. All things being equal, and money into the build as a consideration, you would be ahead of the game if you bought a lower, picked what you want to use the rifle for, and built your own, your way. I can't say that any or all of the components are good, bad, ugly, or FUBAR, but I will say that I have heard mixed reviews on each, especially RJF components.

I have 5 friends that have one of their AR lowers, and 2 that have complete rifles. 3 are satisfied with what they have, one is so so on it, and 3 think they are junk. I'v personally fired 4 of the above rifles (1 RJF, 3 just an RJF lower) and it's been a 50\50 split on how well they work One of the lower rifles, and the complete one, worked great, and had great accuracy. The other two (Lower builds) had more issues than I want to list at this time. Could have to do with the cleanliness of the 2 with issues, as the owners clean them once every 3 years if they need it or not, but it could also be manufacturing flaws as well.

I say keep the 1911, pick up a lower, and build what you want instead. You will lose if you do a straight trade, and since the panic buying has stopped, you can but better components, and build what you want for less than it will cost you to replace that 1911.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looking at White Oaks website, I think you can still build a quality AR and Keep your Sig and still come out pretty well. Unless that AR is coming with some other quality accessories, like optics or something else that adds another couple hundred to the equation.

10. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

if you want the AR more than you want your pistol - do the trade

if not.........well,........NO!

11. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks everyone for your help. I already have a great AR but this guy offered his in a trade and I didn't know anything about them. I have another guy offering me a Saiga-12 semi auto shotgun Kushnapup with 2 mags and a drum. No clue on that either as most of my stuff is pistols.

12. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I think you can come out better selling your pistol to pay for an AR than doing a trade. You know the value of pistols pretty well, and the prices of AR's are down enough to get a quality firearm configured like you want it at a reasonable price.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sounds like you're trading a well made S&W for a Frankengun. Just because all the parts

cost what you paid, doesn't make it apples for apples.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

One thing I have learned over the years is to not get rid of a gun that I may regret later, unless it is absolutely necessary to pay bills. Once it is gone, more than likely ya aint getting it back. Man, I sure wish I had some of the ones I got rid of back.

15. Chucktastic

Chucktastic New Member

My initial reaction would be no, especially if you already have an AR that you like. The final decision should come down to your gut feeling, but like a few folks have said, I hate to get rid of a gun that I like unless I absolutely have to.

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If it were me, I'd keep the S&W 1911. The one I had was the best shooting 1911 that I've ever owned. I let my best friend shoot it, and he wouldn't let me have it back. I made money on that deal.

17. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

just my thought but I did not think it was legal to get rid of a gun , I think it is in the fine print in the man code or something to not get rid of toys

18. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

There are many good AR's for less than 1300 so I'd buy one as opposed to taking his trade...some of the other more knowledgeable people can weigh in but I doubt he has anywhere near $1300 in to his build unless there is some other feature I am not reading.

19. chewiewhee

chewiewhee New Member

The RJF lower isn't really better than any other, you are paying for the name. Overall your pistol is a better value. Keep it and buy a complete AR from a reputable company.

20. flipmode

flipmode New Member

After reviewing these comments, I lean towards keeping something that has developed any type of sentimental value unless you either need the money, or run out of room. Remedy for the latter would be to simply give it to someone you love. If you already have an AR, just build/ buy another one. At least you're in from the ground up. When in doubt, back out.