Need some help. Is this safe to use?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kfox75, Aug 8, 2013.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I were helping a friend clean out her dad's barn, and we came across this. it is a Kamplite model IL-11A that runs on white or leaded fuel, manufactured by American Gas Machine Company ( A division of Queen stove works). Just wondering if anyone on here has one, and if they have any tips or tricks when it comes to using it. basically we want to try to make sure it is safe to use before we try it out. Any information you guys can pas on would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Looks good to me. Just like a white gas lantern. Light it up!

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

never use LEADED fuel in these. Hope you meant unleaded. Leaded would near impossible to find, but still....

Looks like a cool lantern. Can't say anything about safety of that unit.

4. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Cool find! What is white fuel?

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Lantern fuel has also been called white gas by old timers for decades. Lanterns were burning unleaded fuel way before automobiles.

6. kfox75

It says leaded fuel eight on the top of the intake. I was kind of thinking regular Coleman lantern fuel, not gas myself. just seems safer. I agree, it is pretty cool looking.

I was wondering that myself.

Thanks. I'll pick some up so we can try it out.

7. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

White fuel is just white gas, available at wallyworld or many other sporting goods stores. They used to call it white fuel years ago.

Ken

8. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Sorry , cant speak to the lantern,
    But,
    Back in the late 60s, I had a hot rod muscle car, and Sunoco gas stations were popular.
    They sold some of the highest octane gas around.
    They also had a pump, that pumped White gas, best I can recall it was 103 octane, maybe even higher.
    I didnt use it all the time, but on the weekends ,when we drag raced, that was the gas to buy. It did make more hp.

It was clear as water.

Jim

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, looks as good as mine. They are called Inverted Lanterns, as with any gas lantern, be careful.................

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

11. kfox75

12. kfox75

had to fix a couple of leaks, and do a few small adjustments. Fired the lantern off last night, works like a champ. The batteries in the camera were dead, so mno pics yet. Will post some in the next couple days. Thanks for the help guys.

13. kfox75

As promised, pictures of it working.

Attached Files: