Need some help if possible

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by yesicarry, Mar 30, 2010.

1. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hey All,

Turning 45 this June. I keep telling my wife that EVERY man deserves a .45 on his 45th B-Day.. I have tried almost every reason that I can come up with.
    Even telling her that If I get a .45, she can have her PT111 Pro back as that's what I usually carry.. She's still not going for it. Mainly because we have several pistols to choose from but not one .45..:eek:

This forum has some very well trained members more excelled in "mental warfare" than I. So, What are some points that I should use in this situation ?

Am looking into a Kimber. Model yet to be determined as I love them all.
    $600.00 to $1000.00 is the budget so many brands and models to choose from. But if the little woman resists, I just might have to go a month without some lovin'.. And that is not acceptable !

So, Some ideas needed to "convince" the wife would be helpful..

2. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Has she shot a .45? take her to a range and rent one for an hour and let her pop some caps. Then again, she may be giving you a hard time all the while planning on getting you one!

4. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Uh.. Not in this case.. Irish temper that I've seen in 3 times in 4 years.. Ain't goin' there Bud !!
    But she is still really cool about firearms. When I brought home the Bushy M4, the first thing she asked was "when are we going shooting ?".. Now, THAT'S a keeper in my opinion..

5. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hmm. Good point. No, she's never shot a .45 . Her exposure to pistols was only the 9's..She liked it so I got her the PT111..She didn't like my Ruger because her fingers were too short.
    As for the hard time about it makes sense now.. She would do that ! But would really suck If I got my hopes up and no .45..

Now, 'm trying the aspect of 1 shot or 3 ?.. "If" someone grabbed her or my daughter, would 1 round fired or 3 rounds fired be more preferred ?.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, let me ask you this. How many pistols do you have that are NOT .45's??

Because if the argument is that you have a lot of pistols already, there is no reason NOT to sell a couple of them to make room below the "Too Many" line.

While that is not my preferred method, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for a grown man NOT to have at least a .45 in his arsenal and preferably a 1911.

How much time do you have to bribe her with something she might like before your birthday? :p

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I thought it was a rule that men were supposed to have a .45 by the time they where 45. :p

I'm with the got too many 9's unload one or two and get a .45. I stopped myself at two 9mm and two .40's..Got a few 45's though;)

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how much I would love the 1911 platform until I bought one. You just can't go wrong. Talk her into shooting one. Once you have held one, nothing else feels quite right.

9. hiredhelp

hiredhelp New Member

To quote a very wise person: "Why a .45? because it is the best!"
    We have 9 mm's and .38's and several NATO types. The 1911 platform has been proven more than once to be the best, that is why everyone compares theirs to it......
    I agree, reduce the 9 mm inventory and get a 1911. As we talked about in other threads, the Rock Island is as good as you can get for just shooting. They are dependable and not very expensive. We purchased two for our duaghters for Christmas several years ago and they have performed with out any issues. We have a variety of Colt's, Remingtons, Ithaca's , US&S's and Springield, Mass. 1911's and 1911A1's. Our range 1911A1 is a Remington National Match manufactured in 1945. This is one fine shooter. The Rock Island would be a good starter for you and your wife and then you can build on that. JMHO.

1911....enough said!

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

Good luck with your .45.

I'm already looking forward to your post when you turn 50! :D

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

All you need to do is reason with her sensibility. That means getting a beautiful and sexy 1911 and let her see it, touch it and hold it. Women don't go for the logic of ".45 acp is a man on crack stopper, and the 9 mm may just piss the bad guy off." That is the man's logical and proven reason.

I showed my wife some of the 1911's I was looking to buy. She has shot .45's but she always says they have too much kick. This is from a woman who had never held a gun until about 10 years ago. Once she got to see and fondle my Springer Loaded in SS, she nearly melted. The price tag after that was acceptable and an afterthought. Also, once she see's her man holding a man's gun, you will have to take breaks for your own health.

Have you thought that maybe she is planning something in the celebration of your 45th? Any way she could have put something on layaway? Has this been a topic for a long enough time for her to "hide" some cashola?

Just some thoughts. :)

12. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Dillinger, Sir.. I like the thinking on this one. Mine is early june. Hers is 5 days later.. MAybe if I get her that Honda 4-door she's been bugging me about for her B-Day before I get the .45, Hmm.. I'm off to Craigslist..lol..

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sometimes you can get more toys with honey.... Wait. Er. Uh. Something like that.... :confused::eek:

Best of luck. Everyman needs a good .45 in their arsenal.*

*Except something made of plastic. Nobody deserves that. :p

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I suppose sometimes one's "motto" is some woman's victory.

Not saying anything, but just sayin...

15. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

EXACTLY Skullcrusher !!

UPDATE : My wife and I were just talking not more than 10 minutes ago. Seems an inexpensive model is not frowned upon..
    As Skull has pointed out, I will not sell a firearm. I keep what's mine ! They all have uses.

And, finally got the little woman on board about a .45.. Now for the research. And all the different frames,slides,springs, triggers and hammer options.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, you want a .45? And you have other pistols that aren't a .45? And none of them has enough "pazazz" to keep you from buying a .45?

And yet.....

You are against selling some of your "other" pistols to achieve a .45 of Godlike Construction??

Yours is an interesting species....:eek:

17. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

And it looks like it's going to happen ! Now,. Just have to settle down and do some research and be smart about it.. Steel Frame, steel slide, kick some arse .45..

18. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I take that as a very respectful honor.. lol.. Gotta keep the 9's for the girls and Grandkids.. The only firearm lost was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 6-3/8 " barrel. To my Stepson who graduated HS and joined the military. He gets it next year when he's 21.. Other than that, I keep all of them..

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well. I can respect that. It would appear you have a plan.

I am on the other side of the coin. I would prefer to have 1 really good handgun that I love more than anything, than owning 6 or 8 that I "like".

So. You have a nod to find a "cheaper" .45

Any platform you are looking at?

Is a build out of the question?

Where you could buy product "X" for the amount you are looking at, and then add an upgraded part here or there over the next few months?? :cool:

20. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Sorry, but I had to call you on that, brother. :D

Mid-range to cheaper 1911's run $800-$1500. Especially when you look Knighthawk and Dan Wesson Customs. My Loaded Springfield came in at just over $850 NIB, 2 mags and holsters...

Not the ideal carry piece because of the adjustable rear sight, but c'mon...:D