Need some help figuring out reloading costs.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mrbirdguy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I shoot mostly 12g and 9mm
    So is it a lot cheeper. To reload?
    I can get 100 12g for 21$
    And 50 9mm for 15$
    What kind of cost are along with reloading

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I can't speak to those specific calibers, but I'm assuming that drops or rises in components would be across the board.
    I reload .45 and the last box I bought was upwards of $30 for 50rds.
    I can make that many for somewhere in the neighborhood of less than $9.
    Hope that helps!

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Mrbirdguy,

There are a lot of factors you need to consider to determine if reloading is a viable source of ammunition for you. Consider these:

1. How much ammo do you use in a week, month or year?

2. What is the total cost to buy this amount of ammunition for a week, a month, and a year?

3. How much time can you afford to spend for preparation and loading?

4. Compare the total amount of cost to purchase your ammunition for a year to the total cost to buy a press, dies, scale, bullets, brass, primers and powder.

Hope this helps. I know I left something out, can anyone else jump in?

Oh, I forgot.. Shotgun will require a separate press, powder, primers and hulls and other things separate from pistol or rifle.

Scubie

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I have been reloading rifle and pistol cartridges for 30+ years, but I have never been tempted to re-load shotshells. I only shoot 2 -3 cases of 12 gauge per year so it would not pay. I do have friends who shoot sporting clays every week, and they DO reload their shotshells.

As far as they 9mm goes, it is very borderline. If the 9mm is the only centerfire rifle/pistol round that you will ever shoot/re-load, then I would say no, the required equipment will not pay for itself. Watch the stock at WallyWorld and pick up ammo there when it is cheaply priced, or look for good deals on bulk ammo at the numerous on-line retailers.

Now, if you will eventually own and frequently shoot any centerfire rifle round (other than .223), then you can start to see some significant and immediate savings by re-loading.

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Handloading Cost Calculator

This cost calculator is for metallic cartridges, although, I once figured it out and it was cheaper for me to reload AAs when I was shooting trap a lot.

6. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Someday I am thinking of getting a 243 would it be better to reload it?

7. TOF

TOF New Member

If you use lead bullets, 9MM can be loaded for around $100 per thousand not counting equipment cost. $130 to $140 if using copper clad or plated bullets. Brass can be cycled enough times that it doesn't need to be considered in the cost. Once fired Brass is, IMHO, better than new as it is proven and 1/4 or less the cost.

If you shoot several thousand per year it will pay off fast if you shoot a few hundred per year don't even think about it.

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

It is always "better" to re-load. You can (with time and care) create better ammunition than you can purchase in a store.

If you shoot 300 - 400 rounds per year, you will definately see a cost savings in a just a few years.

Many of us just enjoy reloading in and of iteself.

9. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

So what is a list of. Tools not material I. Am looking for a list of toools needed to reload 9mm
    Couuld I. Use the same reloader w/different dies to reload rifles?

If I want to reload shotgun and buy a mec 9000
    With auto primer feeder what if any outher tools would I need and what cost are associated with. Shotgun reloading?

10. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Also whare is the best place/price
    To get supplies
    Also the reloader it self
    Thanks

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Check out MidwayUSA for reloading gear. For a single pistol caliber, generally you can get the Lee kit that has basically all you'll need including single-sage press, dies, powder measure, balance beam scale, hand primer tool, etc.
    FIRST, a couple good loading manuals are mandatory! Lee has a good one, and the Lyman manual is good. They have a lot of info on the basic procedures for prepping and loading no matter what brand equipment you use. Safety is paramount!
    For straight-wall pistol cases, don't worry about case trimming - virtually never needed. Once you graduate to rifle loading, then that will come into play.
    Once you have the books and the gear, then we can address components - you will get as many different ideas there as we have guys posting! LOTS of good choices out there.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As far as the 12 ga is concerned, you will not be able to match the price of the entry level shells. You can, however, load a far superior round than the bargain basement "dove and quail loads".

I load 12 ga with 16.4 grains of Red Dot, 1 1/8 oz of lead shot using a Winchester AA hull and a Claybuster WAA12 equivalent wad. Patterns are far superior to the cheap crap. This load shoots as well as a true AA load for about 1/2 the price.

13. budman46

budman46 New Member

mrbirdguy,

Dzscubie brings up most of the pertinent points regarding reloading.

if your time is not factored in, cost of components/100 determines savings after the cost of your equipment is amortized. i wouldn't advise anyone to buy a shotgun press as sophisticated as a mec 9000 at first. the 600 jr. will give you first-class ammo for 1/3 the up-front initial cost. if, after gaining experience you can justify the 9000, then go for it, but my guess is the 600 jr. will keep you happy.

an interesting thing about reloading is that the more knowledgeable and experienced you are, the less you'd need to expend on equipment if you were starting over. i'd replace my stuff with used to save money, but if i were a newbie, i'd go with entry level tools from suppliers such as natchez, graf's, widener's, midway, etc.

there's nothing wrong with with a starter press kit from lee to see if the reloading bug is real or just a passing thing...if it's real, the equipment will be useful even after your purchase of a dillon progressive machine; if its a passing thing, the equipment won't have burned a hole in your wallet.

the same deal holds with shotshell reloading...a mec 9000 is serious equipment...in my opinion only necessary if your time is worth lots. i have one, but the amount i reload would only justify the 600 jr. if i had to replace it.

if you pursue the hobby, order on-line, except for powder and primers unless you order enough to offset the hazmat cost. ups etal charge a $25 adp (additional dealer profit:mad:) fee for 100 primers to 25,000 primers, or 1 lb of powder or 32 lbs of powder...but that's a different string on the forum.

budman

ignorance is its own reward

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You can save even more buy pouring lead to make your own bullets. I melt down wheel weights. I can reload any pistol cartridge for about $6.00 for a box of 50.

15. patret

patret New Member

Please consider the following;
    powder $25 per pound, 7000 grains per pound, average 5 grains per round for 9mm "estimated" 1400 loads per pound.

primers $25 per thousand

bullets 9mm FMJ $.14 per bullet

brass 9mm $.10 per case or scrounge at range

Prices are all estimated but probably close. Reloading equipment cost can be high if you get into the high end of reloading. I have probable got more than $6000 invested in equipment since I cast and reload all types of ammunition. It is a labor of love for me. I would rather reload than watch TV or sit on my fourth point of contact.

I hope this helps,

patret

16. pmeisel

pmeisel New Member

Start with Midwayusa.com, or maybe Midsouth Shooter's Supply, or Grafs, or Wideners.....

If Midway doesn't have it you don't need it, the others are pretty good too.