Need some advice on a handgun purchase

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by g17frantz, Feb 27, 2012.

1. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

OK guys getting a new handgun next week and have narrowed it down to 3/4 choices all 9mm.
    Springfield XD(M), a FN FN9/FX9 and a CZ P07 Duty. I really want a 9mm w/a hammer but I wanna be able to carry cocked and locked and I don't think the CZ has that ability as well as the FN FN9. Any thoughts?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Out of those three I would get the XDm, not that the others are bad choices.

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I like the XDm a lot but Im steering towards a hammer fired handgun vs striker fired....but damn I like em

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Then why did you list it?

5. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Because that's the one striker fired that I'd love to add to my collection.
    I prefer a hammer, but will whole heartily buy a XDm

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

That is a fine piece cane......

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ill second that

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

9. Werminator

Werminator Member

I like the FNP9 for what my input is worth... In my eyes, the ergos are better than the XD (of which I am a fan as well)... I have been looking to add an FNP40 to the safe...

10. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

The fn9 you can't carry cocked and locked though can you?

11. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Tell you what. My wife carries the 3.8 compact XDm in 9mm and that thing is super accurate and fun to shoot. The fact that the carry mag holds 13 and the BUM carries 19 sealed the deal for me. Low recoil great action and not one complaint. If I had my choice again I would make the same exact decision.

Oh, I also got it for $513 out the door. VERY happy with this purchase. My wife carries it in a Galco King Tuk holster. You can hardly see it if your looking hard. I also loaded it with Federal +p+ jhp for her to carry. I don't worry at all any more when I'm not there. Its a nice feeling.

12. Gator45

Gator45 New Member

It has already been
    said, get a Hi-Power.
    There is no other
    choice for a 9mm.
    If you don't,
    well, your loss.

13. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Hi Powers bite literally. I have a high grip and that is the only "high quality" gun that has ever bit my gun hand. Don't like em. The guys I know that have them like them. I don't like guns that bite.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do what I did and put a combat hammer on her!

Cylinder & Slide P/N CS0093 - BHP Type II Chamfered Commander Hammer - Blue

The bite is gone. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I guess a lot depends on what frame size and capacity you're after.

SA XDm- From your list, this is the one I'd prefer by a mile. No hammer, but it's really got an excellent trigger. I also like the grip safety setup for this gun. Available in multiple frame sizes. This would be (well, is) my choice for polymer carry. I'd imagine I'll add the new XDs45 shortly.

Others...

CZ 2075 RAMI- If I wanted a lighter weight (as opposed to model 75 steel) CZ for carry, I'd go with the alloy framed 2075 over the P-07 every time. It has all of the attributes you're after with a medium weight and compact frame. 3" barrel, DA/SA with hammer and thumb safety, 25oz, 10 or 14rd capacity, $550 new. They also make this gun in polymer, but I haven't been as impressed with that version.

BHP- Great pistol if you don't mind a full framed gun of significant weight. That's a big "if" for carry. That said, I have one that I carry sometimes in the winter.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

BTW- The RAMI can also be sexied up with some nice grips...

Attached Files:

17. codemanod

codemanod New Member

I think you get way more bang for your buck w/ the xdm, 20 rounds of 9mm (WHAT? CRAZY!). It is striker fire but it is single action. The fnh is a great gun but over priced IMO. The cz is a great gun but I just like the xdm better, you just get so much for what you pay for. I love mine, crazy accurate.

18. chewchew

chewchew New Member

I have one of the first XD's made and it's ok, but everytime you pick up a new gun magazine they have come out with something different and you have an antique that no one wants.

19. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Well fellas I greatly appreciate the input. I went ahead and ordered the FN FNX9. Got it for a steal at $520 NIB

20. chewchew

chewchew New Member

You made a wise decision, you won't be disappointed. FN's are great guns.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views: