Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Powersportgiant, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Okay guys, I am looking for some good information in regards to the Ruger SR-556 Essentials rifle. My local store is running a big Ruger sale tomorrow and will have it for $999. I know it's a good buy, and I Know that Ruger makes good products. My real question is, since it's a Gas Piston AR, what's the difference? I appreciate any feedback.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't speak for others, but I wouldn'd have a gas piston AR on a bet.

And 999 is about 400 more than I would pay for a Ruger.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Gas piston isn't horrible, it just doesn't follow the gas impingement system of Stoner, of course. The .223 round isn't dirty and so doesn't really need the piston like the 7.62x39mm does.

If this is your first AR, I'd definitely go with a mil-spec design over the AR-556. Ruger is a fine brand...ignore Locutus on that point.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Never said it wasn't. Just that IMHO, it's way, way overpriced for what you get.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I also read about the Rugers not cycling Tula or Wolf ammo very well , so keep that in mind , steel is high right now and brass is higher .

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wouldn't buy a Ruger AR either and that's coming from a guy who owns three other Rugers.

$1000 can buy a much better AR. I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game. Of course there are exceptions but none that important for a 14.5" and longer barrel.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

and remember they use proprietary piston parts , if it quits running you can send it back to ruger to get fixed , not just drop by your local dealer and pick up the spares, I have yet to see any spare Ruger parts on the shelves for these. Thats the advantage to DI ARs , they are all universal :D

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't think Ruger will sell the SR-556 owner spare parts so as you said if something proprietary breaks you have to send it to Ruger or an authorized repair center. Unlike an industry standard DI AR.

That's why I build my own PCs too. You buy Apple and you're locked into their game instead of replacing yesterday's standard part with a newer and better industry standard part. No thanks, I like to play by my rules. Plug and play vs. pay and pray.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Don't lean forward when shooting, or you might fall over.

Seriously though, it's probably a very good buy at that price. And I might buy one at that price. And I might then resell it for a slight profit.

You can do pretty well for $1K (even now) on a standard 'mix/match' DI AR build. In fact, you could build a heckuva gun through PSA, BCM, or a combination of the two for that price. The end product "MSRP" would not be equal to the Ruger in question, but the utility and practicality would probably be superior. So it's just a matter of what you want.

I don't think it's a bad buy at all, especially at that price. You won't lose buying a Ruger 556 for $1K. I just think my interests would probably take me in a different direction.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

After lugging it around all day that extra 8-12 oz way out front will get to many of us.

11. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I greatly appreciates everyones responses.

Quentin, your feedback is exactly what I was looking for. I passed on the AR considering I have 2 good rifles (DD V5 and a Bushmaster made in ME) and picked me up a SR1911 commander instead.

Thanks again !

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

For a grand, run don't walk, to buy it!

The piston system on this gun is very smooth.
    the barrel is cold hammer forged.
    very accurate gun.

I have no clue why this forum engenders so much hostility towards these incredible rifles.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the SR556E is lack of chromed barrel.
    As a result the SR556E is even more accurate than the SR556.

Lighter too.
    When you handle it you can just tell the quality.
    there is about the same upper/lower play as on my LMT , which is to say hardly any.

Other than the lack of chrome lining ( the HK MR556 is also not CL and they also use 41V45 CHF barrel)) I put it right up there with my DDM4V5, just under my LMT and SIG516 and above quite a few of my other rifles.

I paid top dollar for these rifles before.
    If I could have gotten them for a grand I would have bought 2 or 3.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

That's another one of those mythical "issues" :

yes the BCG is very different but when have you EVER seen a BCG break, even in a full auto DI gun?
    Think its ever gonna happen in a piston (cooler running) semi auto gun? hardly.

wear parts on an AR are mostly
    -gas rings ( not present or needed on this gun)
    -firing pins ( which fully interchange)
    -Bolts (which interchange and in any event in a piston gun will not see the kind of heat load that might weaken them like in a DI gun.)

14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes proprietary piston parts, gas valve assembly, piston, gas valve detent, transfer rod, bolt carrier , upper receiver . Yes bolts are interchangable , I didnt say none of the part were interchangable .

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The key wear parts are interchangable and I think that addresses that concern for me.
    I mean who nhas ever heard of a BCG breaking?

And by the time you break elments of the gas assembly you have shot through thousands of dollars worth of rounds a multiple the value of the rifle..:)

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Freak things happen and happen at the worst time. Murphy's Law... I want and need access to replacement parts but Ruger doesn't play my game. No matter, I can get better for less money. And industry standard to boot.

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Name 1 other gun ,piston or not, that you can get for 1000 that has a cold hammer forged barrel in April 2013.

Oh and that can do sub MOA with good ammo out of the box.

19. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Not sure about the barrel but the Kel Tec SU-16 is piston driven set-up for under $1000. It's a pretty cool gun. I ditched mine because of the plastic receiver. If they made one in aluminum I'd reconsider getting another one.

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Paw: sounds like a nice buy! Show us some pics sometime! :)