Need recommendation/help choosing HD shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Poink88, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mossberg 500

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Remington 870

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Other (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Hi,

I am looking for a shotgun for HD use. The ones I am considering now are Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. Anything else I should consider in the $300+ price range?

If you have a choice, which one will you choose (between this two or anything you feel is better value)?

By the way, I am thinking 12 ga and 18" bbl. comments?

Thank you,

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I've owned Mossbergs & an 870, the 870 wouldn't cycle without me beating it against the ground. My 500 cruiser is light & reliable, I don't recommend the heat shroud as they add weight & seem to be more of a marketing tool.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You would not do poorly with either of your main choices. Having not had the pleasure of your acquaintance, am assuming that you can shoot well with a 12 g. If you are not comfortable with the recoil of a 12, look at the 20. A shorty shotty is sort of the standard gun, due to ease of handling in close quarters, but a longer barrel sacrifices little, allows you to get some sporting use from the gun, and avoids the Rambo/Terminator/Road Warrior image. At up close and personal distances, the spread of shot differs only a bit between an 18 and a 28 modified. A pump does offer a smidgen of an edge in reliability, assuming you will not short stroke one in times of elevated adrenalin.

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I believe this has been beaten to death more than once.

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Did a search and found a few discussion threads. I am leaning towards the Remington 870 now (I like less parts).

Thank you.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the mossberg 500 is very versitile and can be multi-tasked with easy simple barrel changes to include rifled slug barrels and muzzle loading. they are good quality for a nice price. extra barrels are easy to find. im not sure what the 870 has to offer along those lines.

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

He does have a point, this has been talked about several times. It really boils down to preference. I prefer the mossberg. Downfall is the plastic trigger group, but it has an ambi safety and is a great gun. 870 has a longer stroke, but is built like a rock. At least he didn't ask which is better, .40 or .45? :D