Need primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by powderkeg, Feb 16, 2013.

1. powderkeg

powderkeg New Member

Does anyone know where to buy primers please god help

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your only looking for a brick or so cant really help ya cuz hazmat fees are pretty stiff just for very small ammounts, but if your looking to buy a very large ammount 10k+ try powder valley.

i frequently just use wolf primers for general shooting. magnum primers work just fine in non-magnum loads.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Powder Valley has been out of stock for a while,and they don't know when they will receive any.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

they have some tula lg rifle magnum

5. powderkeg

powderkeg New Member

Why is it so dryed up besides the. Gun buying craze

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Why? You mean besides that you, and everyone that owns a press and dies is trying to find primers (because everyone else has bought all the AMMO)- and powder- and bullets. The spike in demand has just flat outstripped the supply.

The makers are running overtime- the pipeline will gradually refill- but will take patience. And persistence.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I started reloading after Christmas and luckily haven't been plagued by component problems. I have a LGS that has been extremely well stocked. The owner is a big reloader and apparently remembers the last shortage. So far I have bought 9,000 primers and about 5,000 lead bullets. Everytime I go in for something accessory wise for the reloading bench I buy either a pack of primers, bullets or a pound of powder. I'm trying not to overhoard and leave supplies for others but I've got to take care of myself too.

Once supplies return to normal, I plan to buy atleast 5,000 of each style of primer I use and seal them up in ammo cans for the next shortage. I'm thinking these shortages may go in cycles every 3-4 years.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Primers are being sent to ammo mfg's as they are being produced from what I was told. Until ammo supplies are restocked on the shelves,reloaders will be SOL on getting any unless you pay the extremely high prices that those places that still have some in stock are charging.
    I'll just cut back on shooting as much as normal,and I should have plenty to last me until they are available again. I refuse to pay $50/1000 for primers!

9. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I just picked up 3 boxes at one of my lgs. My father in law was getting low and I wasn't going to pass them up.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got a 50k stockpile of various primers and i use primers i find on the shelf for my current needs. Right now im sticking mainly to shooting cast bullets out of my old west type guns. Powder primers bullets are readily available here in quantities enough for me to shoot on a regular basis.

11. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

50K! Wow I thought I was doing good stocking up on four bricks of them after that school shooting :(

12. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Every time a gun grabber is elected for a second term ;-)

13. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I've been shooting my black powder pistol, it's been kinda really

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

its not really that much. a competition shooter will go through that many in a couple of months just shooting matches. before the idiocy i shot something around 200-300 a weekend just messing around. thats about 900 a month. 10000 a year. at a generous pace ive got 5 years of primers. thats about how long this idiocy is going to take to blow over or we get to chucking federal bullsht into boston harbor. either way, its called making sure you have enough to last.

i dont have that much powder but i have more than a few cartridges that are capable of being loaded with and functioning with blackpowder.

hmm it didnt happen under reagan and he was an huge gun grabber. altho there was a run on full auto recievers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  15. powderkeg

powderkeg New Member

I have looked through my load books but was wondering can you use magnum pistol primers in 9mm loads

16. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've heard that isn't recommended. They say you can in other larger calibers, but not in 9mm. Not sure exactly why maybe due to the small amount of volume remaining in the casing with the powder and burn rate/pressure???

17. regload

regload Member

You have 9000 primers and you feel shortchanged or threatened? How about letting others get some of what's left, instead of stashing away 5000 more?

18. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If you're referring to me, I don't feel shortchanged or threatened. I currently feel prepared. I didn't start reloading until a couple months ago and could have faced the same problems of shortages. Luckily, one of my LGSs is huge into reloading and is also prepared. I could go in tomorrow and buy 20,000 primers/50,000 lead cast bullets and probably somewhere around 50,000 plated bullets. That's about what he has in stock and he has been doing it for so long that he has his supply pipeline in place.

The 5,000 more will be when supply levels return to normal and I can lay in my stash. Maybe I'll keep them right near my food, water, silver, gold, guns and other prepping stuff. Don't want to get caught with my pants down.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I had in excess of 50K before the panic. For the last 25-30 years I've always had at least 50K of primers and 40-50 lbs of powder on hand.
    I learned my lesson when anti-American sunuvabitch Grinnin' Jimmie "Cahta" was president.