Need Polymer Help....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

My buddy and I bought the same pistol at the same time. We've both had them for about a year, and we hook up at the range once a month, and engage in some one-upmanship.

So I break mine out, but he pulls out a 1911. I give him the "WTF", and he explains that the polymer portion of his started peeling apart in layers, mostly in areas where he had skin to plastic contact.

Mine, the identical pistol, is in fine shape. If anything, it seems to have picked up a sheen, and lustre, as though I had sprayed it with some glossy Armor-All.

What gives?

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Help, guys!:eek:

I love this gun, it feels so natural in my hand, if it fell apart, I think I'd cry!!!!:(

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Did you cry when you watched The Notebook?

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Poor Noah, I bawled like....

What does this have to do with my gun????

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Perhaps it is residual "Cornhuskers Lotion" creating the sheen? You might suggest it to your buddy!

6. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

This is not the first time I've heard of this problem. My dad's glock 27 started to lose structural integrity after about a year as well, mainly on the grip portion of the polymer frame.

You say yours looks as though it has picked up a sheen, as if armor-alled, have you been applying any kind of substance to it that may have affected polymer?

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I don't think I've put anything on there directly.

I carry in leather, I love the smell of rich, hand tooled leather, but I pull out at night.

I called the shop where I got it, the owner said that this is a common thing, that something like 1 out of 10 has no problem.

What gives?

8. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Do you like listening to Elton John and Kenny Chesney?

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to go out on a limb and just take a guess here, but if you're gun isn't peeling... there's nothing wrong with it. Forget about it and get back to shooting.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Who doesn't listen to Elton? If you can say you've never sung along to "Tiny Dancer", you're a liar.

Again, what does this have to do with my little problem????:mad:

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'd ask the friend about products he uses that you don't IE cleaning solvents. Then I'd look for differences in storage, like in the heat of a car or in the sun. In other words I would look for something different in the environment of the two guns that could lead to the breakdown of his gun.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Man there was a guy here that claimed he dissolved his glock with some special gun cleaner his dad a chemical engineer had come up with. What ever is going to I bet it is them dam Chinese that are doing it. Just to the armed can't protect the country....

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

My friend is a slob, I doubt he ever cleaned his, beyond running a brush through. It just doesn't make sense.

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

But does he keep it in his car? Hot and cold can affect plastics.

15. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Do you drive a prius?

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The polys that have been created ever so much stronger and tougher for todays firearms do not like the acidic oils that people secrete, some more acidic than others. At least that is what I have heard. I know that machining those polys used in firearms is not like machining many other common polys, and they react to human contact differently. Some lotions actually help to provide a barrier of sorts. So, what kind of lotion do you use and how often?

I read somewhere that women don't have this problem problem as much because of the use of lotion more than some men. I would guess emo's don't have this issue either.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ugh... I don't. Maybe the Elton John music is having some kind of detrimental impact on the underlying poly-carbonate structure? There are some scientific studies which indicate that certain frequencies of sound will deteriorate the molecular bonds of complex synthetic polymers resulting in the delamination of the infused base substrate. This can sometimes be reversed by flash freezing the instrument in liquid nitrogen for 12.2 seconds thus stabilizing the underlying crystalline structure nearly to its original tensile specifications.

Of course the 12.2 seconds is just an estimate.

:cool:

18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Thing is, he showed me some pix, it's only in areas where he touched it. I would think all of the polymer would be effected if it was that.:confused:

19. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I don't understand, but you're creeping up on my ignore list. If you can't help, just shut your gob. Meanie.:mad::mad:

20. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I'm just building a profile. Remember, you asked for my help...