Need Opinions Sig 220 or 229 - Which to Keep

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Elemental, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Long story short.....I inherited a Sig 229 in .40 S&W and a Sig 220 in .45 ACP, but it looks like one of them is going to go to a relative.

Which one should I try to keep? Why?

BTW...I don't carry, so the smaller size of the 229 is not really a factor.

2. indyfan

indyfan New Member

My friend owns both of those handguns (he's a sig guy)

I've fired them numerous times, I found the P229 to be more accurate (probably because its .40 smith and wesson)

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy my relative a hi-point and keep the sigs :p

all joking aside, I'd probably go with the P229 .40 sw, ammo is a little bit cheaper and its got good accuracy

3. Viking

Viking Active Member

If you plan on doing a lot of shooting I'd check on availabilty of ammo, if it's anything like here in S. W. Oregon I don't see a lot of 45 ACP but 40 S&W seems to be always available in abundence.

4. Elemental

Elemental New Member

I have a fair amount of .45 ammo already, and I do like the feel of the 220 in my hand. Hmmm, so maybe I just answered my own question.

I guess I was wondering if there was anything fundamentally better about one or the other. But I think they are both pretty darn nice guns

Lead me not into temptation ;)

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You have your pick between .40 S&W and .45 ACP?

What's your question???????

* facepalm *

6. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Cane, forgive my ignorance, but can you explain why the choice should be obvious?

7. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Like you said you have answered your own question. Me I have both and carried the Sig P229 in 9mm. never was a big fan of the .40. Now I carry a Springfield XD45C.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ahem, cough, cough....

45 ACP/Sig P220....what's the question? :cool:

9. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Well lookie there, I guess there IS such a thing as a stupid question after all.

I'm still not sure why the answer to the question is obvious to everyone but me, but I'll keep trying to yank my head out of my a$$ until I see the light.

10. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I think the general consensus around here is that .45 is better than .40. I really want to get a P220 Equinox.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

St Calle, when you decide you want a Sig let me know. I have a friend who has an in with Sig and I can get you your sig at a greatly reduced price then if you buy from a dealer. He also gets in used Sig's from police departments that replace weapons. He just had a P220 for $500 that was used by an old detective who only put it in a drawer of his desk as he was ROAD (retired on active duty) and was only waiting to retire. It looked like it only had a mag or two through it and the spare magazines looked like they had never been loaded.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You probably answered your question right there.

Both are fine guns. Unless the compact 229 is somehow more comfortable for you to handle, taking the 220 makes sense. Most prefer full framed guns if carry isn't an issue, and I know I'd prefer the SAO p220.

As far as cash value goes, they're of similar value if in similar condition.

I'd say:

1) If one is in dramatically better condition, take it...
    2) If similar condition, take whatever "feels" better in your hand...
    3) Still undecided? Tie goes to the p220.

FWIW- Don't worry too much about the caliber. 45acp is an outstnading round, but 40sw will get the job done just fine and it's very affordable. Also, the recoil in the smaller .40sw might actually be greater than the full-sized .45...but is probably negligible between the two.

13. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I own one of each of those guns. The ONLY advantage the 229 has over the 220 is capacity. You said you don't carry, so it is not an advantage to you.
    Keep the 220.
    The 45 is a true meat eater. It was designed to one thing. Kill stuff the size of a man.
    By the way, I wish I had your tough decision.

14. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hang on to the 220. They are both in like-new condition, and I just like the way it feels in my hand. Funny thing is, I haven't had a chance to shoot either one of these yet, so it's kind of a shot in the dark (pun intended).

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the 1911 in my siggy any hint?

I think the .40 S&W was an answer to a non-existent question.

[​IMG]

16. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Ok, point taken. I didn't mention it in my orginal post, but I also have a Colt Gold Cup and a couple other .45's. I guess that was partly why I was considering hanging onto the Sig 229 in .40 S&W. But after reading what everyone has to say here, I think I'll keep the 220.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Damn, then what the hell was the 357sig an answer to?

Elemental- If anything, I'd expect the .40sw to actually kick more because of the compact frame. If the p220 feels better in your hands, it's a pretty safe decision. And you just added one heck of a firearm to your arsenal.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What is a handgun ammo abortion?

The .40 S&W is a "Snappier" round than a .45 ACP in just about any platform. A .45 rarely needs a compensator for muzzle control but the .40 would find it beneficial in most applications.

I'm a recoil junkie so that isn't the issue with the .40 and me. I can shoot .45 ACP ALL day long with a smile on my face. When I reach 50 rounds of .40 S&W the fun has long gone! It's just a buzz-kill round for me.

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I only have a 9mm (CZ 75b) and a 357sig/40sw (Sig226, two barrels) for now. And ironically since you mention it, the 40 barrel is in fact ported.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing yet. Hope to "progress" into 45acp soon enough...next pistol is probably a 1911. I'd actually like to get into a p220 as well, since I've been happy with the 226.

The 357 is fun to shoot and (on paper at least) boasts impressive ballistics. But with that said, it's not the most practical round. Fun though.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm not a caliber bigot to harass members, just an old man that has uber respect for a handgun round that is 106 years old. (And still killing goblins just like JM Browning designed!)

I have little need for boutique rounds designed to sell new handgun platforms or to provide a no-kick WEAPON to a gun totin' Nancy-boy.

[​IMG]

Besides, necked cartridges are for rifles!