Need opinions on updates

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Bounty Hunter, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

I recently bought a new Glock 19 and will be taking my CCW class next week. They say that 80% of home invasions happen at night and I would like to upgrade my Glock for this situation. My first thought was for a laser system. Then I was told that the person also knows where you are by following the beam back to you. Then I thought about night sights. But even though you know where your aiming you don't want to shoot at a shadow, it could be family. So then I was told to buy a tactical light. When you turn it on, it will cause temporary blindness and you will know who you are dealing with. So now, I'm thinking about either a tactical light or light with laser or light with night sights. I would like to hear your opinions on my thoughts.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Make sure your light is atleast 65 lumens. It takes that much to disorient someone, especially well when their nightvision is already activated. They also make strobe lights availiable, this is best imo.

Get rid of the glock, go with a 12guage. ;)

3. DonnyKC

DonnyKC New Member

i have a glock 19 with a internal laser. i love it. but for home defense get a mossberg 12 gauge.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

And you can put a light/laser on the twelve guage. That's what I grab when somthing goes bump in the night.

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

While i agree that a shotgun would be best, I have to be careful because of my grandkids and this is why I decided on a handgun that I could lock in the closet in a safe. So I still need your opinions on upgrades for the Glock.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Glock markets a tactical light-laser combo for around $250.00. This is the best I found yet. Putting one on my Mod 22.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO lasers are one of the most useless additions to a handgun. I have seen numerous people try to shoot with a laser. They spend a lot of time chasing the dot around and end up jerking the shot off target anyway.

A good light will enable you to ID your target to insure you are not accidentally shooting a family member or the drunk neighbor who entered the wrong house.
    Please don't misinterpret this to mean your drunk neighbor cannot be a home invasion offender.

8. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

I have a light on my 19 and works great .Better than the laser to ID intruder and temp blind them. You can always turn off the light so you won't be seen. +1 for the shotgun as home defence also. I got one of those close by also.

9. MGH

MGH New Member

My old roomate and I would practice with home invasion and clearing a house in the dark. We tried all kinds of diffrent light variations. We found a stobe light disoriented the perp. longer than a regular light.
    Remember they will try to shoot at the light, being its the only thing they can see on you. Practice clearing a house with that in mind.

10. jedster

jedster New Member

i agree with the strobe light being the way to go. streamlight makes a good light that will strobe or stay steady on. also remember to use some kind of home defense ammo if there are family members in other rooms. you dont want to g rip through a wall and hit a family member.

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

My choice would be a good flashlight, then night sights, and last would be a laser system.

You don't necessarily need a handgun mounted light, and there are some schools of thought that say if you are only going to have one light that you don't want it to be weapon mounted. This is because you don't want to point a gun at everything that you might need to illuminate. Weapon-mounted lights (WML) also makes it hard to use intermittent and indirect lighting techniques while searching.

My suggestion would be to get a good hand held flashlight first, then tritium nights sights, then a WML, and then a laser if you want one. Of course a combo WML & laser such as the Streamlight TLR-2 would be an option as well.

12. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

When I took my CCW class and shot with a flashlight, I found myself trying to adjust the light to the target and then you only have one hand on the gun. So I decided to buy a tactical light and after reading reviews and comments, I bought the Insight XTI Procyon. The 3 reasons that I bought this one is that it has 125 lumens, strobe effect and reasonable price, $136 shipped. I plan on keeping the light mounted on my G19 in my pistol case for home defense, but will take off if I conceal carry. Next I will get Trijicon night sights installed and since I'm done with target practice for now, have loaded one magazine with hollow points. I couldn't talk my Wife into the CCW class but she did say that she would like to learn how to shoot it so we will be going to the range soon to teach her how to handle it and fire it.

13. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

I got my Insight XTI Procyon and installed it on the Glock per instructions. My only problem is that is very hard to take off. I have one hell of a time puling down on the 2 levers, (one on each side) to release the light. The light slides on the rail just fine, but its like the spring has too much tension on it to be able to release the locking bar under the barrel. Has anybody else had this problem? Other than that,I really like the light!