Need opinions on a 4WD or AWD vehicle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BunnyWabbit, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

Last year I sold my beloved Tweety Bird Yellow Ford Ranger 4x4 because the gas prices sucked. Bought a mini compact Honda Fit. Great gas mileage, but if I have 1" of snow on the ground I can't get out of my driveway, which is about 100 yards long uphill. BTW, I DIDN'T DO THE CASH FOR CLUNKERS.

I would like opinions on some different 4WD or AWD vehicles. I am open to another truck or an SUV, but not big ones. Must be dependable and have a little bit of power to it as I do a lot of highway travel.

What does anyone think of Suzuki or KIA? I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on a vehicle in this economy. Would prefer to stay at or below $20,000. Does not have to be a new model either.

I just want opinions and suggestions.

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

What about a 4x4 hybrid Escape?

3. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

New ones are sitting at $30,000. I did a search on autotrader.com to see what was within 200 miles. I did find a 2007, with 14,000 miles, AWD for around $19,000. So I may need to take a trip to Kansas City this weekend and look at it.

4. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

5. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

I love Jeeps, I've heard they are hard to get parts for. Is this true?

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Not hard, just expensive.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Im a Ford guy, so I would say Ford. But, I dont think you could go wrong with a Subaru, all of their vehicles are AWD. When I visited West Virginia in the mountains several months ago two companies made up the majority of car dealerships, Ford and Subaru.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why not get another Ranger? I'm a Ford guy and big fan of the Ranger platform. I've got a 94 4x4, 4.0 with 300k on it and running like a champ. My dad had one that had 250k on it and the guy who bought passed it on to his 2 sons....still going. He also has a 97 Explorer with 280k on it. If you liked your Ranger why not shop for another?

Not to mention Ford didn't take any of the bailout money. GM and Chrystler should be extinct.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

+ 1 on the Subaru, plus they are very mechanically sound AWD vehicles.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I LOVED the old suzuki samuri's, but that is NOT a highway vehicle. I have heard some unpleasant stories on the sportages of yore, but not so much lately.

Personally, i'm in lust with my BIL's mini-cabover flatbed truckish thing, even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Other than ground clearance, which isn't just horrible, it is good with the mud and such and gets very nice fuel economy, better in 2wd though. Suzuki Japanese Mini Trucks - Mini Suzuki Trucks, Japanese Compact Trucks & Vehicles His is like the lower picture. He is in the process of switching out tires & getting a tag, so that it can run parts for his shop.

11. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

I read yesterday that Ford is doing away with the Ranger. In this economy, I am surprised at the prices on used vehicles, especially trucks. And, in this area, any used trucks you find will either have a ton of miles or be overpriced.

I am not sure if I like Subaru, isn't their logo the sign of the debil?

After my last car buying adventure, I think I would try the most patient man in some of my reasonings for liking or not liking a vehicle. I know most of the sales people were glad to see the back of me. lol. All i knew last time was the vehicle had to be either red, blue or yellow, get good gas mileage, be small and be in my price range. It was funny to me how every car salesman still showed me cars that didn't meet that criteria.

12. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

That is awesome....doesn't look like a grocery shopping kind of truck though. I had a Geo Tracker a while back and loved that thing too. It would go through ANYTHING.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

LOL!

My sister just learned that lesson. Bought a new SRT8 (420 horse Hemi) because it was so "cool". Problem is she bought it without consulting me first. I'm the one that had to give her the good news about what it's going to cost her to maintain it. :(

14. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Just buy a Mercedes Unimog and call it a day.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm a big fan of Ford trucks. Maybe you can find another Ranger 4x4?

16. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I'm a Toyota freak, look into Tacomas new and used, it may be the last vehicle you buy, they like to last a very long time and maintenance is cheap compared to most other trucks out there.

I plan on keeping my 06 until I die, even if I buy another vehicle I'll keep the Tacoma and convert it to a full time Offroad monster, until then (2016 or later), this will be my daily driver.

Good luck in your search

17. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

On a serious note, Unimog's are way too expensive, you may be able to find a Nissan X Terra pretty inexpensive and in good shape.

18. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My best advice is to have a good mechanic check out any vehicle before you buy it. It will be worth the small investment in the long run.

I was an excellent carpenter, but I'm a lousy mechanic. So I rely on a trusted professional.