Need Opinions for a Desert Eagle .50

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Metalheadinky, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Metalheadinky

Metalheadinky New Member

I was interested in buying a desert eagle .50 caliber handgun but have never shot one. I was curious to know if anyone has had good luck with them? I have heard mixed reviews on them so I thought I would ask. Thanks

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

They're better choices available...

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I've fired a DE .50 before. Didn't have any problems with it. The recoil wasn't that bad, and the accuracy was decent. If you can, try one out yourself before you make the decision to put down the money for it.

4. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Wish I had one. Just to have.

5. wyocarp

wyocarp New Member

They are:

Quite accurate
    Heavy
    Quality firearms
    Expensive to shoot if you don't reload
    A lot of fun

[​IMG]

6. Mark F

That was some of the points I was eluding to... Heavy, and expensive ammo. Other than that, I'd love to have one, two, or three in my collection.

7. mblake

mblake New Member

Mine is a "BLAST" to shoot. I usually pling away at the range with 9mm or .22lr. I just got a DE and get a "Kick" out of adding it to my day at the range. I smile every time I think about firing this hand cannon. I do believe with proper grip the .50 DE isn't very hard to shoot, but it is very loud and has a huge intimidating blast... Still smiling- think I'll go to the range now....

Why .50, because they don't make a .51...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I wouldn't disgrace my safe with one.

They are worthless for anything other than impressing mall ninja's.

the only thing I would use one for would be for a boat anchor.

I don't see them as a quality firearm I see them as overpriced penis extensions. I don't shoot guns to impress people. I let the targets speek for the gun. I see them as a good prop for a matrix movie that is about it.

9. Zappa

Zappa New Member

I fired a .44 mag version years ago. To me, the grips feel like you're holding a 2x4 and unless you're built like the Terminator, you're hands will probably be too small to shoot it comfortably with accuracy. It certainly looks impressive but, I think it was made more for use as a movie prop than a tool with any real world purpose.

10. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Wow... Penis extension. Jeezuz:eek: I have one, uh, Desert Eagle .50, not a pen... never mind.

Anyhow. It was created to fill a VERY small niche: a semi auto for hunting medium and larger (don't think bears, I said larger) game. It is very well made but somewhat impractical unless you have that niche to fill, or really want one for whatever reason. Not much different than guys who have rifles that will shoot 3's or $20,000 double barrel shotguns.

I do have one though seriously. I don't have that niche to fill however. It's for sale.

11. Mark F

Yes, this one is right up there with the S&W 500 Magnum. Guns for micro-wankers...

12. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

HEY! I said I had one okay... I got it in trade just for the fun of it. Not like I have two of them in a double shoulder rig or anything like that...:D

13. Mark F

Well let's see...

If you wear a pocket protector... you need a .50

If you drive a 15 year old (faded) Subaru 4 door sedan... you need a .50

If you have to tie a pork-chop around your neck to get a dog (or any girl) to play with you,... you need a .50

If you need tweezers to take a whiz... you need a .50

OK let's see HOW MANY MORE "you need a .50" reasons we can come up with!!!!

14. vanguard

vanguard New Member

too big a gun, that thing is a cannon. i like the 45 acp .:)

15. hudd357mag

hudd357mag New Member

Desert Eagle

My friend has one. Although it was interesting and impressive to shoot. I must admit the shockwave that went through my shoulder made it less than fun after only a few clips. More of a toy than a practical weapon.

16. Mark F

I have to agree ...

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you are expecting atack from Jurrasic Park critters a .50 would be the way to go. But then again if you are expecting to be attacked, carry a rifle.

18. designer12

designer12 New Member

Same here. I picked one up at a gun store once, barely managed to pull the slide back, and put it back down because I felt like a sissy.

19. vanguard

vanguard New Member

i have a friend that has the 44 mag s&w that dirty harry had:eek:and we shot it out doors with ear protection, and still that thing hurt my ears , i said dude if i ever had to shoot that indoors the bg might die but i would never hear again.:eek:

20. designer12

designer12 New Member

Look on the bright side - you would never have to wear hearing protection ever again.