Need Mole erradication help

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by phideaux, Sep 26, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

In all my years, Ive never seen as many Moles as this year.
    Maybe its the wet summer we had. I dunno.
    My place is looking like somebody has been throwin grenades all over.

In early Spring I covered the place with Spectracide. Thats suppose to kill off their food source, but I think it fertilized their food source.

I need some help/tips/advice, on some way to stop these varmints.

There must be 100s of them, seriously.

Help !!!!

Jim

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Get yourself a Henry and a couple boxes of .22 short. Come to think of it... Can I come over and help? I'll bring the beer

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

My fiancé had a few in her backyard last year and read on line that if you put dog and cat fur in the holes it gets rid of them. She got a bag full of hair from the dog groomer and spread it around the yard.

Sounds crazy I know but they were soon gone and we haven't noticed any this year.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

figure out if they are moles (carnivore) or voles (herbivore) then follow the appropriate steps. An air rifle works effectively on both if you can coax them above ground. :D

http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/f/mole_vole_difference.htm

5. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

Turn on a water hose down those holes and wait for them to come out with your .22

6. phideaux

Honest, I have literally set out in the areas where they are active, and sit ,and sit, hours, and never see them.

These are definetly Moles,
    the cats killed one, and of course ,laid at the back door. It was the size of young rabbit, must have weighed 1-2 lbs, huge .

Somebody said juicy fruit gum pieces in their trails will kill them.
    May try the dog/cat hair also, anything , these things are everywhere this year.

jim

7. phideaux

I havent seen any holes ,just humped up trails everywhere, the the grass dies, and its dry dirt spots everywhere.

Jim

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

bulk pack of 22's and a rocking chair on the porch!:D

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I tried this stuff from home depot , it looks like lawn fertilizer. You put it on quarterly and they go away and don't come back. I battled forints a few years ago. I tried everything, this is the only thing that worked. My neighbor has them right now and they don't come to my side.

10. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Try smokin' them out and have someone with .22LR or air rifle and start nailing them!

11. phideaux

Can you actually see them ?
    Or just see the ground humpin up?

I never seen anything when Im watching.

Jim

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

got to be stealthy dude. like a sniper!:D

seriously, they might not even come up where you can see them. but if paitient enough and waiting them out, you might get a shot at one or two. probably the best bet is a mole specific poison or trap. my grandmother had mole trap they you put into their holes and it killed them.

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you seen Caddyshack?

14. phideaux

Yeah , I seen it back when I was a kid ( Im 66 now ;)), dont remember too much about it, cept him trying to kill an unkillable varmint.

Kinda like me ...huh?

Jim

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sounds like you are going to need a trap of some sort...having pets will rule out any poison or bait type treatment. Another round of Grubex might take away some of their food source. I was able to get rid of some from my lawn with those electronic repellents...they are stakes that you drive into the ground that supposedly irritate the hell out of them. Might not be a option if you have a lot of ground to cover. They do sell "gopher bombs" that you light and drop into their tunnel...it fills the burrow with CO to kill them, the effect is short lived and there are no residual poisons or toxins to harm your pets.

16. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My grandmother put out caster beans but I don't remember if they worked or not. I have a dog that loves to chase them but I have yet to see her catch one. She can sure tear the hell out of the yard though.......:D

17. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

I think you may have answered your own question there;)

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

[ame="http://youtu.be/9BIGhVg8ZII"]http://youtu.be/9BIGhVg8ZII[/ame]

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Many mole repellents are made with castor oil so your grandmother knew her stuff. :) But I suspect that if you were to purchase enough castor beans to cover an acre of ground today , DHS or the FBI will be paying you a visit. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Get a dachshund. Weiner dogs are usually mole killers.