Need lightest 20 guage load available

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by aandabooks, Oct 11, 2010.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Bought my soon to be 10 year old son a Remington 870 Express and I want to start him out with the lightest possible 20 guage #7 birdshot load that is available. He'll be starting with squirrel/rabbit hunting and I want to minimize recoil and we don't need speed to get the job done. Just good accuracy and judgement. Things that get hampered when a young shooter is flinching from expected recoil.

So what is the lightest available? Please be specific. There are many varieties under just a brand name. I've noticed that not all of the companies put the same info on the boxes, so it can be a little hard to compare.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

3. RMc

RMc Member

4. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

I don't think there will be too much difference in the low recoil ammo versus the standard cheapie rounds from wally world being that you are shooting an 870 the recoil should be relatively modest.....a single shot 20 gauge however is too much for a 10 year old.(generally speaking).

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My boy is not big and that is why I decided to pony up and go with the 870. I had been kicking around the idea of a H&R or Rossi singleshots but the recoil would be significantly more. The 870 was quite a bit more money but he is only going to get his first gun once and it might as well be memorable.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look for the Fiocchi and Estate locally before ordering it.

6. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

If you can get the low recoil without ordering it, get it. I wouldn't go out of my way though. You will be fine with the regular cheapies

7. RMc

RMc Member

Perception:

Based on a 6.5 lb. shotgun:

7/8 ounce @ 1200 = 11 ft. lbs. and 11 fps recoil velocity.

3/4 ounce @ 1075 = 7 ft. lbs. and 8 fps recoil velocity.

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

start him with a .22 let him get use to the shot then work up