Need IWB holster for summer

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by MrWray, Jan 28, 2012.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My CCW is a fullsize 1911A1, in the cold months like now my Carhartt coats covers it well but ive been thinking about what to do when spring and summer arrives. Ive been looking at the crossbreed supertuck holsters and have heard good things about them. I trust alot of you guys opinions, so what do you think? Less printing and as less bulging as possible is what im looking for.

2. jsbowman

jsbowman New Member

The supertuck is nice. I can carry a full size Glock at 4 o'clock with minimal printing. Look on eBay there are People that make these bolsters for cheaper

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I've heard nothing, but excellent reviews/comments about the Crossbreed Supertuck. I do not carry IWB, but if I did the Supertuck is definately what I would carry my 1911 in that's for sure.

4. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

This is the same thing that happened to me when I moved to Florida after living up North. I found that Milt Sparks has the best solutions for iwb carry in warm climates (or anywhere else). Check out the "summer special" model and a few others. They really fit the gun well, they don't mysteriously drop the safety as some others do and blend in well so you look like everyone else carrying a cell phone at worst. Holsters are a personal thing - I have a huge box of them that I've acquired over the years but Sparks has been the best for me. You're mileage may vary.

5. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Sorry, just re-read your post and missed the "full size". These days I carry a 3 inch Kimber UC2 iwb. Full size for open carry.

6. rbmorris

rbmorris New Member

Try these guys: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/index.html

I have 2 of theirs. One owb belt holster and one iwb clip style. The owb has their "Slide guard" feature that puts a flap of leather between you and the slide, hammer, beavertail area. makes a HUGE difference in comfort. I just wish I had gotten both like that. They have a pretty informative site.

7. Malcap

Malcap Member

Big handgun for summer carry. How about an alternate DA/SA?

8. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Crossbreed is good to go. Tucker gun leather's 'The Answer' would be a good choice too. Garrett makes 'The Silent Thunder' also. Just get a good belt and you are ready to go. Good luck.

9. Malcap

Malcap Member

There's still the romance of the old 1911 style even updated for carry but SA is not the best carry style pistol. Defensive gun encounters are over in seconds. One nanosecond short could be a lifetime.

10. HKNUT

HKNUT New Member

Check out the new Safariland 575 GLS IWB holster. Its great. Has retention and also fits around 200 different sidearms with one holster. I have both the IWB model 575 and the OWB model 578 and have not had a single problem from either and I'm extremely hard on gear! Theyre priced well and can be adjusted for any body type also. If you have any questions about them feel free to contact me and I will try to answer them for you.
    Just for disclaimer:
    I am in no way affiliated with Safariland. I am but merely a very satisfied customer.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Malcap

Malcap Member

Nice rigs. I just sold a tan-colored gently used Galco Jackass rig designed for 1911s and FN Hi Power Brownings for 91.00. It didn't fit my S&W 5946 unfortunately. Buyer seemed very happy with it.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

\
    I never knew a detective who used a Galco jackass or Miami that wasn't happy with it. I have holsters for the basic harness that fit Glock 17/22 and another for SIG P230.

I'll shortly be getting another holster for my new Lightweight Commander.

Takes me about 3 minutes to replace a holster.

14. Malcap

Malcap Member

Commander's a nice pistol and the Officers Model. I like 1911s but won't carry an SA/DA pistol for self-defense. Most PDs only went semi-auto after the Glock came into vogue. Revolvers weren't encumbered with safeties and other "devices" to get them working. Glock arose mostly due to simplicity in activation...until some probationary offices starting firing them unintentionally whilst putting them back into their original boxes for storage.

15. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the Alien Gear!

16. grassfedarmory

grassfedarmory New Member

Anyone try out the sidecar appendix rig?

17. Malcap

Malcap Member

You still pay taxes after your die....someone else just forwards them.

18. bustos801

bustos801 New Member

I just purchased the stealth gear onyx iwb and have to say it was the best decision I made on holsters. The breathable rigid backing works great and is very comfortable.