Need input -- Stevens 94 M worth $80?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by librarian, Aug 20, 2010.

1. librarian

librarian New Member

I have a chance to get a Stevens 94 M in very good condition for $80. Good condition stock, bluing remaining, overall I'd probably rate this at 80 percent.
    Thought?

2. Walley

Walley New Member

/

That is about what a gun like that would bring around here. Not much collector value but if it is in decent shape it would make a good shooter.
    What gauge and choke is it?

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

current blue book of gun values

MODEL 94 Add to Collection
    - 12, 16, 20, 28 ga., or .410 bore, single shot breakopen, hammer, 6 1/4 lbs. Mfg. 1929-disc.
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $90 $80 $75 $60 $50 $45 $40
    Last MSR was $92.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. librarian

librarian New Member

12/full

It's a twelve gauge full choke. The condition is really excellent. The stock appears to be walnut with checkering, it still has the original bluing on the receiver, nice clean barrel with no dings, very clean on the inside. no rust that I can see anywhere. There is a serial number so it puts it post 1968.

Seems like a nice weapon to take with on a walk in the woods in the fall -- and at $80 it doesn't matter much if something does happen to it.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

If you want her, snatch her up, she may come in handy later on down the road and she is cheap enough to do some barrel modifications if need be, especially if the world does indeed come to an end, or a SHTF situation of lawlessness ensues, or both, as many believe.

6. librarian

librarian New Member

what kinds of mods do you suggest?

I've got a red dot tasco shotgun/pistol scope which could be fitted I suppose if I wanted to add a weaver base. Not sure it would be worth the money --probably more than $80 for that.

7. Walley

Walley New Member

Just a thought

A few years ago I picked up an old Western Field single shot 12 gauge for thirty bucks. It had a 30-inch full choke barrel in good shape but the rest of it needed help. I ended up re-bluing it and refinishing the stock. I then cut the barrel down to 24-inches (cylinder bore) and sweated on a rifle sights. Put on a grind to fit recoil pad and a neighbor gave me one hundred bucks for it as a slug gun. You might consider doing the same.

8. librarian

librarian New Member

OK. 3 inch chamber

Thanks. I went ahead and picked up this. It cleaned up really nice, but the only thing that confuses me it says "3 inch chamber" on the barrel -- so I assume I can use 2 3/4 shells in this.

9. Walley

Walley New Member

/

No problem with 2¾ inch shells. I have several guns with 3-inch chambers but never use 3-inch shells. Most of the people I know stick with the 2¾ loads. Good luck with your new find; it will serve you well.

10. librarian

librarian New Member

Thanks/works/extractor somewhat funky

I tried it out this weekend. Seemed to work fine. The extractor stuck after the second round leaving the expended shell in the barrel, but, later, it popped right out -- ejecting about 4 feet. So the mechanism works well.

I found that I have to really apply pressure to the lever to the right when I break it open to make the extractor work correctly -- which seems to indicate that there's still some dirt and grime in the mechanism I need to get to. Or it was just a funky shell. It was wet and raining at the time so perhaps that was also factor. Two shells is hardly a proper test. I will clean it again and try with a proper number of rounds.

11. Walley

Walley New Member

/

Clean it again and use some good oil around the lever and extractor. I suggest Hoppes 9 lubricating oil. I have several older single shots that don’t extract properly when using high brass shells so that might be your problem.. The gun might be a little stiff from non-use so I would suggest using a spent shell and cycling it repeatedly to see if things loosen up some. See if things clear up after shooting a box of #7½. I have a couple of new guns that were stiff until I shot them quite a few times. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Possibly dry (unlubricated) parts. A judicious drop of oil here and there may help.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some gun scrubber or carb cleaner flushed around the extractor/ejector should loosen up the old caked on lube. Let it dry and add a few drops of quality oil.

If you cut it down to about 20", you will eliminate the choke. Add a weaver base and red dot and "VIOLA", slug gun.