Need input on deer hunting rifle!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SDK73, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SDK73

SDK73 New Member

Next year I have been ivited to deer camp, this gives me 11 solid months to purchase, practice, and practice some more! I am a bigger guy about 6' 250 lbs, so recoil isn't going to to be a factor, I am wondering if you were in my shoes where would you start? I've heard everything from .243 to .45-70! All comments greatly appreciated!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Deer camp in what state? All around calibers are .308 Win., .270 Win. and 30:06 Sprgfld. and are all excellent choices for deer hunting. If you think you would have to take long shots (300 yards or more) then 7mm Rem mag might something to consider.

3. peters923

peters923 New Member

Whites, Mulies or what?
    I shoot a .300 win mag for everything I hunt out west. Elk to Barbary sheep...!

4. SDK73

SDK73 New Member

We will be hunting in Michigan.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

308, 270 or 30:06 would be plenty of gun for deer in MI. Lots of ammo choices and every sporting goods department will have something in stock for those in a pinch.

I knocked over a nice WI buck last Sarturday with my .270. Put one through his rib cage, he traveled another 40 yards and fell over.

6. Pineywoodshunter

Pineywoodshunter New Member

My opinion .243 is too light of caliber. You need a caliber capable of exiting the deer's body. Thus better blood trial. I would suggest if your just starting out. You would maybe try a 30-06. There is an abundant selection of cheap priced ammo on the market. Not like the magnums or hybrids out there. I would prefer a bolt action rifle with a nice varible powered scope.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thems the 3 mainstays IMO :cool:

8. paidfor

paidfor New Member

270 or 3006 will get done unless you are hunting larger game. Shot placement is the key. More so than the caliber.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Generally I do not like to go lighter than a 150 grain bullet, unless I'm just going to plink/target shoot with the firearm.

10. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

My first deer rifle was a Marlin lever action in 30-30 I bought new in 1968. I still have it and have killed a lot of deer with it over the years. That rifle, a scope and some Hornady LeveRevolution ammo is a great combination.

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I agree. I like the short action and lower recoil of the .308 Win.

12. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I have both! 308 and 45/70 THUMPER!

13. bigsteve89

bigsteve89 New Member

it all depends on your level of experience. if you have never shot before i would probably pick up a .22 and get comfortable with that and then move on to a centerfire rifle that doesnt have as much recoil like a .243 or a 25-06. size isnt as important as experience when shooting, even the biggest guy can flinch if hes shooting something that has alot of recoil.
    if you have experience shooting any of the above calibers will work, i hunt in WI and i use a 30-06, it has enough power for just about everything in the midwest and because i have shot since i was a kid recoil isnt a major factor for me.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I hate to bust your bubble bub but unless you are shooting light bullets and hit the near shoulder and the bullet doesnt explode on impact a 243 will ALWAYS be a clean pass through. I know this because in 12 years of deer hunting iv killed 9 deer with a 243 with 3 of them shot at 300 yards or farther. The only ammo i have issues with has been the remington cor loks.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

OP any of the rounds mentioned are all great rounds for deer. As said shot placement is the key.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I agree with the guys here, I would go with the 08 or 06 I will leave the caliber up to you.

17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

.308 All The Way

.308 all the way. I shot a deer once with a 30-06 and it took off but was hit hard. A few minutes later I shot another one in the exact same spot and it feel in its tracks. I got down out of the stand feeling good with two bucks down. I got to the deer and it had two holes in it less than an inch apart (perfect lung shot). The first deer had circled around in a low spot on a power line where I couldn't see him and then walked back out in the same spot to see what that was. It could have happened with any caliber, but it didn't. It happened with a 30-06 and I've had no respect for that caliber for deer hunting since. I'm .308 all the way now and that's because a .308 is the closest thing i can find to a .303 British, which is the absolute best deer caliber period (its just really hard to find a new rifle in that caliber).

Deer don't come back to see what that was when shot with a .303 British - they don't do anything but hit the ground. :D

18. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

...so it's on an emotional level that you dismiss a 30.06?

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My question is how do you not know the same deer twice?

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You real need a bit more info on the property you will be hunting and find out what would be a long shot. A 308, 7-08 or 260 could be ideal. But if a 400 yard shot is offered a 7mm rem mag or 270 might be better. Even think about where you hunt, If a 300 yard shot is long stay with a nice short action rifle. For most any caliber from 260 on up they bullet choice are very bug and most anything in the 120 gr on up will do nicely on deer. The 7mm rem mag well do about anything from small southern deer over clear cuts to moose with the right bullet and shooting to 400 yards with a 300 yard zero is very practical to do.

Rifles. Check out Montana Rifle Company ,they have a new line. The American standard rifle. A little high but a rifle to pass along in the family. Can't buy this quality any more from the big boys. I use a ruger.

TLuker HAHA 303 being better!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011