need input for handguard

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jjfuller1, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so i have this AR, stag carbine upper with plus package. it has this diamondback picatinny rail handgaurd. its nice looking and all but i cant hit crap with the MBUS because the handguard moves. unfortunaly i didnt realize that untill after a couple boxes of ammo and several sight adjustments. id get a group. make an adjustment. and then have no impact, no idea shots. it really boggled me till i saw what was happening. so any thoughts on how to remedy this or should i get a different handguard? i'll try to get better pics later

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
  2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Wow! Definitely a change is in order. Let us know the outcome of your decision. Interested.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive had good luck with midwest industries ff tubes. The one on my wife's bcm is solid like a rock. Ive got a rra advanced operator type ff tube for my 458 socom upper and it too is solid as hell but its heavy. Both are used with buis

When it comes to railed ff tubes be prepared to pay for quality. The elcheapo ones are exactly that, cheap. Its little better than using a wet noodle.

Im putting a jp ff tube on my precision rifle build its nice but i dont know how it is for keeping zero. It wont be used for buis setup.

4. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Another option is to get a iron sight that is the right height to fit on your gas block rail.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This ^^^^^^^^ . If you like your current handguard and are happy with it just get a sight steel or alum front sight that will attach to your gas block . Do not try to put a magpul or other plastic on it you will have major melt down :D
    There are lots of great handguards out there that will do what you want them to do but they arent free either . I have bought over $600 worth of handguards this summer but I have finally found my favorite . Now Im not going to rush to change them all to that same one , the others I have are roughly the same size and they work great .

7. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmmm i may be trying that.. now to save some cash

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont think your gas block will fit under that rail if you intend on going longer . same length shouldnt be a problem though .
    Of all the alum handguards I have this one is my favorite, helps keep the barrel cooler than my Troys and feels great in my hand and it will fit the factory barrel nut you will just have to take off or cut off the ring also comes with 3 rails and a quick release that bolts on

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2926

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Another vote for a YHM. Have a 9635 DX and it's rock solid. Barrel nut, tube and jam nut mate up precisely, height is a spot on match to receiver rail, no gaps.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

+1 for Rainer arms. Very lightweight. Very secsi.

If you are willing to change out the gas block to a low profile one, you can get a longer free floating tube.

But for a Stag model 3, the cheapest and fastest option would be to get a gas block height front sight, either fixed or folding, and put it on top of your gas block. Get a metal unit, MBUS's will melt.