Need info on two possible pistols to purchase

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by curly45, Aug 18, 2010.

1. curly45

curly45 New Member

I'm looking at 2 pistols, a FEG 63 and a cz82. Would appreciate any info. this will be to use as a carry gun. THANKS

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

.380's? How available is ammo in your area? A pistol does not good without ammo.
    (Also, this should not be in curios section, but in the handgun section.)

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't own either pistol. The only bad thing i've heard about the cz82 (9mm makarov) is that it is a bit heavy for its size. I want one, but have other things higher on my list of lust.

4. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

CZ-82 vs PA-63

They both utilize the Makarov 9 x 18mm round. 1 mm shorter than a standard 9mm round and 1 mm longer than a 380. The CZ-82 has a solid Steel Frame and Slide, while the PA-63 has an Aluminum Frame and Steel Slide. The CZ-82 has a 12 Round Magazine and the PA-63 has a 7 Round Magazine. The CZ-82 has a painted finish and the PA-63 has a Blued Slide and plain frame. Last the CZ-82 has a Polygomal Barrel (no rifling but very accurate) and the PA-63 has normal Lands and Grooves. I own both, but find the fit to my hand and the 12 Rounds, make the CZ-82 my choice for CCW. Take Care

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That is not altogether true. There were varying finishes used. The big difference is that early Military Feg's are blued on the slide and frame. This is an early Military Pa-63.
    [​IMG]
    The Feg is a great little gun, it will bite you if you are not careful. I have a Sig p230 also. Although it is in .380 it is only 1/8 inch shorter. The Feg does not cycle as fast, has more of a bark, but is cheap to shoot and there is lots of ammo available. It is quite a bit heavier for its' size compared to the Sig. I have never had a single failure w/ the Feg. 100% reliable. It fits in any holster for a PPK.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

We are getting some 9X18's in the area. but not enough for me to consider it. 9x19 is more common.
    Good luck.

7. Cpt-Hotpants

Cpt-Hotpants New Member

FEG PA-63s are fantastic guns. If you are getting one straight from the importer run two boxes of ammo through it before you make any judgements as they rode a holster most of their lives and need to be broken in. The springs are pretty stiff and need a little working to get it to run without jams and such. Of course then there are the wolf replacement springs you can get those, but i have no experience with them so i dont know how well they work.

The frames are actually an aluminium titanium alloy. They had problems with straight aluminium wearing out really fast so they add a very small percent of titanium to the mix and it worked.

chrome lined bores means it will digest some pretty nasty ammo. The one problem with the gun is the sights are REALLY small but i know quite a few people who use them as carry guns.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a CZ82 and it was a good quality pistol as CZ makes excellent pistols. I had some problems finding ammunition for a while, but it seems to be more available these days.

It's a touch heavy and has a pretty snappy recoil. But I wouldn't have hesitated to carry it if need be.

9. rkhal

rkhal New Member

I don't have a CZ-82 but I have a FEG PA-63 and a Makarov. I have been looking for a ftf for a CZ-82. The FEG is good but it needs to have a set of Wolf springs to make it well behaved. A reduced power hammer spring will make the double action pull much better and a heavier recoil spring will take away some of the bite. Being an aluminum frame it does recoil more than the Mak and the Mak recoils more than a Glock 9mm or a CZ-75.