need info on my ak

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by blacknchrome, Jan 27, 2012.

1. blacknchrome

blacknchrome New Member

i just bought this rifle and dont really know anything about it. the left side of the reciever is marked:56S,semi-auto,7.62X39MM,made in china by norinco. SILE N.Y.N.Y. it also has a triangle with 66 in it just in front of the serial number. it also has a serial no. on the cover, the bolt carrier and the bolt. they all match. it looks like there used to be something else stamped just in front of the mag well,but it has been buffed off. i gave $400 for the rifle with 3 30 round mags(all have china stamped on the bottom)1 10 round mag, bayonet and cleaning kit. can anyone tell me what exactly is it and what it's worth??

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

sounds like a pre-ban. Norinco got caught doing no-no dealing to arms dealers here in the states and got banned from selling them again. You can still get them practically everywhere, but actual shops cant carry them, but somebodys uncles brother friends counsin has a norinco ak. its worth about what you paid for it.

3. markb

markb New Member

Are you sure its 54S and not 56S? Possibly 84S? Does it have red fiberglass furniture?

4. blacknchrome

blacknchrome New Member

it's a 56s,with wood furniture. i'm not a very good typist

5. markb

markb New Member

6. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

blacknchrome, if you truly got that for only $400, you just got the smokin' deal of the century!
    Because you mention something being "buffed off", I hope there's nothing nefarious about it's history!
    Those pre-ban AKs are selling easily for over a grand.
    Can you share some pics? And can you share the circumstance of the transaction? i.e. how did the seller
    not know what he had?

just sayin'...

7. markb

markb New Member

[​IMG]

Not trying to hijack the thread but there are deals out there. Picked this up last week for $500. Type 56-3

8. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Okay...where are you guys finding nice pre-ban Type 56 AKs for $400-$500 ?

9. blacknchrome

blacknchrome New Member

the guy i bought it from said it was worth $1000, he wanted $500 fast needed money,i did'nt ask why. i offered him $400 and he took it. iwas'nt trying to jew him down really, it's just that cabelas had some ak on sale a couple weeks ago for 400. as far as the stuff thats buffed ouy it looks like it happened at the factory. you can barely make out 7.62x39mm. i just thought the guy was b.s.'ing me about being worth a grand. the bluing all looks the same where it looks like something was buffed out.

Attached Files:

10. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Well you certainly got a great deal on it. You could flip it right now and easily double your money.

11. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

...from other people. seriously their not that rare nor special. i mean if you want to sell it by saying its pre-ban to up the price go ahead, but theres nothing different about them. and compared to others they're heavy as hell. yea you cant buy them publicly, but if you are in an AK type of market i.e. a city, almost 1 out of 5 AK owners has a norinco. off hand i know of 3 people, not including dad.

in the end its an AK, and if you are paying over 1000 for any regular wood furniture, solid buttstock, over weight AK, it must have a gold plated piston or something. The only AK worth close to 1k is a CZ. to me anyway.

12. markb

markb New Member

Soliferrum, from other people. seriously their not that rare nor special.

You are correct up to a point. MAK90's were modified to allow importation after the ban took effect. Pre-ban AK's are limited to whatever made it before 1989. An example is a 56 3 with red fiberglass furniture, only 1 shipping container made it to IACO....3600 rifles. As far as post ban guns whether they were imported from China, Europe, or assembled here in the States, the numbers must be in the millions.

Now if you can find a 56 5 National Match.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

no im not talking about modified mak-90s. all those letters and numbers the OP has posted i must have seen 3 dozen times over. The numbers 56 (dont remember the S), Norninco, that weird triangle thing, and NY are all a familiar site to me. as for the red fiberglass ones your right, that one i have never ran across. a heavy ass norinco with red fiberglass furniture would defiantly get my attention since all the ones i have seen, as pictured by OP, are all wood, or folding steel stock. im not saying people are wrong in saying its valuable. but a standard AK thats worth 1k, just because its rare in the U.S. is like saying a standard Gen 1's Glock 17 worth 2k because they dont make them any more. maybe im being close minded, but old, rare, used in war guns are the only reason a standard made rifle will be worth more than it should be.

but be the case that it is, i will defiantly be on the look out for fiberglass furniture norincos that are being sold under 500. not to get off topic, but anyone got quick info on Maadi's? those i havent seen too much and i cant seem to get straight information on like Yugo's, WASR's, Maks's, or Norinco's.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  14. markb

markb New Member

Maadi is the Egyptian variation of the Russian AKM. Well built. If I remember correctly the original imports came with full auto carriers and the ATF didn't like that so importation was stopped. Another importer who I can't remember brought in some of the other AK's you mentioned. Disassembled them and rebuilt them to ATF acceptable spec and resold them.

The AK with the red furniture (56-3 not a 56S-3) in my pic while not extremely rare is at current value in the range of $1500 - $2000 depending on condition. The gentleman who sold it to me for $500 even after I told him it's value was selling guns for his deceased brother in law and viewed it as an "evil" gun.

Any guns value is influenced by rarity, condition and someones desire to pay the price to own it. Although not necessarily in the order I mentioned.

15. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

hahah thats why i love AK's, "its the enemies weapon" yea ok bubba, ill gladly take it off your hands. you got an approx value of a Maadi? the acceptable version. saw one awhile back, but didnt get the price.

16. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

I don't know where you guys are getting your ak's but I got my cheapest from century arms $300