Need info on German pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Steve65, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

Several years back my Father-in-Law gave my wife a pistol. He has since passed away and it is of sentimental value to her. We have not shot it.

It says this: Deutsche Werke Werke Erfurt cal 7.65m/m Ortgies' patent

Can anyone give me any info on this pistol?

The ammo he gave her with it was .32 Auto -- is this the right ammo for this gun?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Without detailed pix, any guidance is a shot in the dark...

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Does it look like this?

Attached Files:

4. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

That's it, Robo!

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Popular little .32 auto (7.65mm is the Euro designation- metric, y'know) Made in Erfurt Germany. Some were used as secondary martial pistols by the German military in WW II. Value based on condition, but somewhere around $300-$350, more if Nazi marked.

6. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

Many thanks, C3. I appreciate the info. That is more $ value than I expected -- but it will never be sold -- it has more sentimental value than anything. My FIL had only one handgun -- that one -- and my wife remembers him keeping it under his pillow or in a sock in his dresser. It brings back memories for her. I wanted to make sure the ammo was correct for it as I think she'll enjoy it if I tell her I took it out to shoot and it worked okay. She doesn't like semi-autos.

7. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

BTW -- what do Nazi markings look like?

8. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I'm not expert, or even a layman, and I'm sure there are various different proof markings depending on period and piece. Here is an example of a common marking:

[​IMG]

9. robocop10mm

It is called a Waffenampt. Commonly referred to as a NAZI eagle. It is a proof mark or acceptance mark for the military during the NAZI era. Not unlike the "flaming bomb" proof mark on US arms in the 20th century

10. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

Y'all are great. Thanks! Off to buy some .32 auto for plinkin'...

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think they were also used as officers sidearms during the war. Clean it well and lube it before you shoot it.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What scares me about this thread is that Robo may have freaking ESP - that's a chilling thought...:eek:

13. Drriley

Drriley New Member

Google "Ortgies" for a lot of info on these neat little pistols. Usually good shooters
    they are .32 auto.

From a mechanical outlook they are entirely "fitted" - no pins used anywhere in
    the gun.

14. loaf_fan

loaf_fan New Member

No screws, lots of pins

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Considering the age, you may want to have someone check it out before shooting.

16. elmopete

elmopete New Member

I have a 25cal.ortgie with serial number13468,and I would like to get rid of it because of the stupid handle safety.You have to squeeze the handle as well as the trigger to shoot.Very Annoying!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We have a "classified" section where this post should be. I don't know if your low number of posts will allow that.

May I suggest that you also look at posting on some of the gun auction sites?
    A pawn shop may also buy it from you.

18. robocop10mm

The grip safety is not a major issue for most folks. The modern Springfield XD retains that feature.