need ideas to get XDM sights out

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by 76239dave, Aug 10, 2013.

1. 76239dave

76239dave New Member

Bought some night sights for my XDM. I have a B&J Machine P500 sight tool and have used it successfully on other handguns. When trying to use it on the XDM, the tip of the push rod shattered and the sight stayed put. Also tried a brass punch and hammer but the punch bent long before the sight moved. What next? Ideas?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Every 'smith I know says XD's are among the hardest of all sights to remove/replace. Take it an experienced 'smith, it is worth the cost to keep from damaging the, the sights or both.

^ That is what I did.

3. 76239dave

76239dave New Member

Resorted to grinding an old steel punch to just fit into the dovetail and put the slide into a bench vise with wood to protect it. After a few test hits with the hammer, I got brave enough to give it a good whack and the sight finally moved. The rear sight was much easier and the B&J tool worked fine for installing the new sights. One tiny ding on the front dovetail but otherwise perfect. Like others have said, XD sights are a bitch to remove but it can be done.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

As a gunsmith, I have replaced several sights on XD/XDM's. They are the most difficult to change. I always recommend buying the sights you want on your Xd/XDM from Springfield already installed on the slide. There are two ways to remove the factory sighsts.

1. Drift them out with a heavy hammer and a steel punch. You'll break a brass punch if you try it with one because you have to knock the **** out of them to get them to move.
    2. Find some TnT and blow them to Kingdom Come because that's how you'll feel after trying to remove the sights using any other conventional method.

You can't use a sight mover tool for the front sights and don't even think about reusing the sights after removing them. They're more than likely toast after using a steel punch or the TnT.

5. grandpubba

grandpubba Member

This is what I was told to do as well, one `Smith he won't touch them.

Gator if you don't mine me asking what did you pay, the one `Smith who said he would change out the sites said only if I buy a certain kind all total was about 250.00

6. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

Hey all , I have several xd,xdm,xds 45 and have changed sights effortlessly ! Maryland sight tool for xd . It works on all of them if you watch what your doing , very nice very accurate . Don't understand all the fuss ! It cost about $120 think I got it from midwayusa.com I'm not a smith, don't get ripped !

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This^^.
    The XD family requires a specific sight pusher.
    http://www.lancotactical.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MGW317

8. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

9. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

Midwayusa.com
    Product# 520237
    MGW317
    $120

10. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

*Not to be used to remove factory sights.

It can be used with caution but it's not recommended.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

Worked fine on all my factory sights ,
    I think some people are trying to make an extra buck here instead of trying to help the gun owner !

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I sprayed mine with penetrating oil let sit over night and knocked them out with a BFH and a steel punch . It was not easy and took several swings but it finally broke and moved it will move easier the next time .

13. 76239dave

76239dave New Member

I talked with B&J Machine. They are sending me a replacement tool tip free of charge. They also said that a steel punch is often the only way to get XD sights out. Once the factory sight has been replaced their tool works fine for adjustments.

14. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have the same tool for my glocks and M&P. Just installed Truglo TFO's on both front and rear on my Shield. That tool works great!! I am getting one for my XDs so I can install the Truglo TFO's on it as well. Im a happy camper!! :D

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Umm no.

Xd/xdm sights are extremely tight fitted and factory zeroed. They are meant to stay in place and not move no matter how the gun is abused. They aren't like anything else out there.

The fit is so tight and strong on these things you would have an easier time drifting out sights milled into the slide...

16. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have replaced a few sets in my shop and yes they do SUCK !!! I have had really good results leaving the slide in the freezer for a few days and letting the metal contract as much as possible. Then I clamp the sight tool in a vise so I can get good leverage on the sight tool.. And yes I use the XD specific tool.